Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x for racing

I'm getting faster and I can't sell my bike for a race one so the only choice I have is to put money into my 250x to convert it into a race bike I'm wondering how much and what I'm gonna have to put money into just to keep up with the other bikes.

Just twist the crap out of that thing on the right side of the handle bar! 

What type of racing?

Just twist the crap out of that thing on the right side of the handle bar!

When in doubt grip and rip :)

I'm getting faster and I can't sell my bike for a race one so the only choice I have is to put money into my 250x to convert it into a race bike I'm wondering how much and what I'm gonna have to put money into just to keep up with the other bikes.

If you're racing enduro just de cork and get it running nicely.

Then do suspension springs tailored to your weight and riding style, a revalve if you have monies.

Edited by BushPig

There is more than one kind of racing, so you will have to be more specific.

I'm talking about motocross outdoors

I have the speed I have everything it's just the bike it has a few less horsepower and its 20 pounds heavier. I don't know how it's gonna compete

Edited by Honda kid

90% is the rider, 10% is the bike. If you're fast, then you're good to go. Don't worry about it. Go out there and do your thing and you'll do great. And you'll piss off those riders who have their brand new bling mobiles and make them wonder how this dude on a 250x came out and smoked them!! :thumbsup:

You could always look for ways to shave off a few of those pounds too if weight is an issue. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Just get a lithium battery, they don't cost much and weigh bugger all. If you're gonna try to remove weight, take it off the top.

A 2008 top end would be good, 19" rear wheel etc. Take the speedo cable, head light etc off the bike. 250R fuel tank so you can get more forward on the bike. 250R pipe and silencer. 250 R rear wheel and rear guard fits.

Rebecca Lipset raced MX on one here, while ago now but she was very competitive on the bike. Pretty sure she was B/grade. Had the 250R top end and was built by the factory team. Being a girl, they wanted the E-leg.

Not the bike I mentioned. Sorry, thought it was.

160414Bec_zpsr3y436oy.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling

I did MX on my X for a few years and thought it was a hoot.  called it my Red KTM with the e-button.  But the truth is, it is 90% rider and 10%.  bike helps, but you gotta ride the damn thing first.  Do a google search for a kid by the name of Jerry Robin and you will actually see the truth in the old 90/10 statement.  it is fact and not fiction.  He is a 16 year old kid that blew up his bike for LL before the area and regionals started.  so, he hopped on his Dad's 1985 CR250 and raced 2 stroke and 250Mod B.  Guess what, he made guys on brand new bikes look foolish and made it to the amatuer national.  and although the 85 busted a crank just before the race, some folks ponied up and got him an 07 CR250 and he won the 2 stroke National on it.  

so, take of the kickstand, find a 12 volt lithium filler battery for the bike to ditch the lead, and go race.  for mine, i did some basic mods such as aftermarket air filter, hi comp piston, full exhaust, 250R flywheel, proper jetting, and MX tires.  but most people would do that for an R also.  she works great and I had a ton of fun.  Even won a few motos in my old guy class.  the suspension was pretty good for me with just the clcikers, but as mentioned before, that is where you want to drop money if you are going to do it.  but other than that, just get out and have fun.  banging bars with buddies is a ton of fun and it makes the post race beer, pizza, and bench racing that much better

• Like 3