putting a 2010 cam in a 2009crf450R

Hi Guys,

So i just picked up a 2009 CRF450R not too long ago and am experiencing the hard to start problem. It has gotten better after finding out the technique of the primer kicks and then a few kicks from TDC, however reading up on this more everyone seems to be say that putting a 2010 cam into the bike makes it start super easy.

I am not that mechanically inclined (did my own valves by myself for first time not too long ago, yay for youtube) but my question is does the 2010 cam just drop right in? Or is there some modifications needed?

I am looking at this one which was the part number mentioned in the other post: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/honda/2010/crf450r/camshaft-%2B-valve/camshaft-assy./14100-men-a41

My buddy also mentioned that it might be better to buy a hot cam and a new piston for the bike... I am not terribly sure what a hot cam is... so..what is the benefit of a hot cam? (Doubt i will go this way seeing as the combined cost looks like 500+)

Side note, just ordered a 2005 CRF250R clutch cable to put on the 450 as people mentioned that helps the pull tremendously due to the smaller angle on the cable, if anyone has done this, how did you route the cable as I read that it is a tiny bit shorter than the 450 cable.

Bear with me guys, trying to learn heh.

Edited by Arthur1265

well the 2010 does have a revised decompression mechanism

i have a 2009 and with the right map they aren't hard to start  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

when you say did your own valves

did you check the lash and reshim them

or you installed new valves?

cut your own valve seats too?

it could be hard to start if

your vavles are 0 clearance, 

the map sucks,

the high idle start plunger passage is clogged wtih dirt,

the somebody messed with the tps or map sensor,

fuel filter is full of chit,

A little less likely

the decomp mechinism is not working correctly,

you have a shiddy ground,

you have a shiddy capacitor

and yes a hot cam is better a hot cam isn't a thing but a brand of cams

i however would recommend web camshafts instead of hot cams

I meant i checked my valve clearance by myself.. and everything was right in the clearance spec.

is it hard to kick

or hard to get to fire.

is it hard to kick

or hard to get to fire.

Hard to get started, The kick is easy/normal

Hard to get started, The kick is easy/normal

I don't think the cam is going to get you what your looking for.

Set your idle high too like Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not bap bap bap

Hi Guys,

So i just picked up a 2009 CRF450R not too long ago and am experiencing the hard to start problem. It has gotten better after finding out the technique of the primer kicks and then a few kicks from TDC, however reading up on this more everyone seems to be say that putting a 2010 cam into the bike makes it start super easy.

I am not that mechanically inclined (did my own valves by myself for first time not too long ago, yay for youtube) but my question is does the 2010 cam just drop right in? Or is there some modifications needed?

I am looking at this one which was the part number mentioned in the other post: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/honda/2010/crf450r/camshaft-%2B-valve/camshaft-assy./14100-men-a41

My buddy also mentioned that it might be better to buy a hot cam and a new piston for the bike... I am not terribly sure what a hot cam is... so..what is the benefit of a hot cam? (Doubt i will go this way seeing as the combined cost looks like 500+)

Side note, just ordered a 2005 CRF250R clutch cable to put on the 450 as people mentioned that helps the pull tremendously due to the smaller angle on the cable, if anyone has done this, how did you route the cable as I read that it is a tiny bit shorter than the 450 cable.

Bear with me guys, trying to learn heh.

You can use a 2010 cam in the 09 but you will need the decompression mechanism from the 10 for it to be drop in. THe 9 decompression will not work with the 10 cam. HotCam stage 2 is a good choice and can be found on ebay fairly cheap. $150ish.

Normally 09's are not hard to start if everhything is correct.

Its possible the cam gear has slipped a small amount on the cam and that could make it difficult to start.

Too many variables for hard starting on an FI bike. My 09 with 25 hours on top end, perfect valves and clean fuel filter......5 prime kicks, roll it up on TDC and running by 2nd kick every time. You could be low on compression, low on fuel pressure or the Air intake temperature sensor in your air box may be dirty

You can use a 2010 cam in the 09 but you will need the decompression mechanism from the 10 for it to be drop in. THe 9 decompression will not work with the 10 cam. HotCam stage 2 is a good choice and can be found on ebay fairly cheap. $150ish.

Its possible the cam gear has slipped a small amount on the cam and that could make it difficult to start.

I agree with the wheel being off Recheck your marks on your timing

One tooth would make it really hard to start

Interesting.. i will take a look at the timing to make sure it did not slip a tooth. I will also take a look at the fuel filter and report back here

The 09 is harder to start vs. the 10 model in stock trim, but that can be cured with a good remap.   Owned both models in stock trim, but after having the 09 remapped it really helped with the ease of starting.  That is with everything else in good working order like valve clearance, fuel filter, fuel pump etc...    

So update on this, as i went riding this past weekend.

The kickstarter itself is easy to kick through.

From Cold it is the hardest to start, even with doing primer kicks.

Once warmed up it seemed like if i did a kick with my full body weight behind the kick (read: doing a little hop with downward force going to kickstarter) it would start within 1-2 kicks from TDC... but would not start that reliably if i was just kicking as hard as i can sitting down on the bike..

So is there anything that would make it start easier with not such forceful kicks? ... i would like to think im not just a little bitch that cant start it from sitting down :Shrug

Set your idle high too like Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Not bap bap bap

Too many variables for hard starting on an FI bike. My 09 with 25 hours on top end, perfect valves and clean fuel filter......5 prime kicks, roll it up on TDC and running by 2nd kick every time. You could be low on compression, low on fuel pressure or the Air intake temperature sensor in your air box may be dirty

I agree with the wheel being off Recheck your marks on your timing
One tooth would make it really hard to start

The 09 is harder to start vs. the 10 model in stock trim, but that can be cured with a good remap.   Owned both models in stock trim, but after having the 09 remapped it really helped with the ease of starting.  That is with everything else in good working order like valve clearance, fuel filter, fuel pump etc...    

okay

when you pull the high idle lever while its running does it change rpm?

So update on this, as i went riding this past weekend.

The kickstarter itself is easy to kick through.

From Cold it is the hardest to start, even with doing primer kicks.

Once warmed up it seemed like if i did a kick with my full body weight behind the kick (read: doing a little hop with downward force going to kickstarter) it would start within 1-2 kicks from TDC... but would not start that reliably if i was just kicking as hard as i can sitting down on the bike..

So is there anything that would make it start easier with not such forceful kicks? ... i would like to think im not just a little bitch that cant start it from sitting down :Shrug

Are you sure you shimmed your valves correctly

Both exhaust and intake

I had a guy last Saturday in my shop with the same problem and it turned out that his exhaust valves were off spect

And as I suggested before recheck your timing sprocket mark too

okay

when you pull the high idle lever while its running does it change rpm?

Yes

Are you sure you shimmed your valves correctly

Both exhaust and intake

I had a guy last Saturday in my shop with the same problem and it turned out that his exhaust valves were off spect

And as I suggested before recheck your timing sprocket mark too

I will recheck the valves