Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Looking to hook up with trail riders in Eastern PA

I got a crew of about 4-5 guys here in South Jersey and we are interested in riding in Eastern PA for a day, but we don't know where to ride.  We are all plated enduro's.  We do mostly single track riding and a few of us do ECEA races and generally hold a good pace.  Would like to hook up with some folks that aren't too far from Philly (1-2 hours tops).

I would gladly reciprocate and live a couple miles from Wharton (Pine Barrens) where we do most of our riding directly from my house every weekend.  We ride mostly sand and flat terrain, so looking for something different although not interested in pure rock garden trails.

I ride with a disorganized group of riders from SE PA. So far this season, we've ridden in three general areas, (1) the RAC land in St Clair, (2) land just outside Jim Thorpe, and (3) a farm down near York. We also make periodic runs down to the Hatfield-McCoy trails in WVa. I'm fairly new to the group, so they may have other places they ride.

None of these are all the close to Philly. I'm near King of Prussia, in the NW suburbs. The Jim Thorpe and York areas are about 90 minutes of trailering. to get to St Clair takes close to two hours because of road construction.

We try to ride every Sunday, and are discussing riding this coming weekend (May 10) but so far, we are too disorganized to know where or when. Most of the guys are fairly good and go for challenging stuff. Some of us (me included) are more like beginners, so we stay away from the crazy single track rock gardens that are vertical.

PM me.

Edited by pat22043

I ride with a disorganized group of riders from SE PA. So far this season, we've ridden in three general areas, (1) the RAC land in St Clair, (2) land just outside Jim Thorpe, and (3) a farm down near York. We also make periodic runs down to the Hatfield-McCoy trails in WVa. I'm fairly new to the group, so they may have other places they ride.

None of these are all the close to Philly. I'm near King of Prussia, in the NW suburbs. The Jim Thorpe and York areas are about 90 minutes of trailering. to get to St Clair takes close to two hours because of road construction.

We try to ride every Sunday, and are discussing riding this coming weekend (May 10) but so far, we are too disorganized to know where or when. Most of the guys are fairly good and go for challenging stuff. Some of us (me included) are more like beginners, so we stay away from the crazy single track rock gardens that are vertical.

PM me.

Are you talkin about the farm with the burned down mansion on it Off queen st.?

Matt, I can take you out anytime, message me

Matt, I can take you out anytime, message me

Awesome!  Got a hare scramble this weekend, but hope to get out after that!

Ahhh shizznit. Thats my hood lol well lemme know what you think about it. If you like it, and want more, i know 100 more miles of stuff like that all in that same area..

I was going to race it but ill catch hell if i blow of my girlfreinds sons birthday party : (

My bike will be there, but my buddys gonna be racing it lol

So had my first ride in PA this past weekend in an ECEA hare scramble.  Unfortunately I got a flat tire on the first lap and that ended my race.  Got some interesting observations.

1) Love the hills, that is the best part.

2) Did not like the rocks (as I thought).  I did not mind all the loose rocks scattered in the trail as much as the boulders and piles as big as a couch. 

I thought about the differences between South Jersey and PA and what I could come up with is that south jersey riding is generally faster and more motocross like.  PA riding is more like an Enduro-X track, in the fact that there are many technical obstacles you need to overcome, but at generally a slightly slower speed.

I was doing well off the start and thought I had this PA thing down no problem passing people left and right initially, but I was just all over the place in the corners.  I would pick a line to rail, and there would be loose rocks, small boulders and other rocks just under the surface that would throw you off.  It wasn't so much as my suspension deflecting as my front tire (a soft tire of course) slipping over the face of these rocks.  I soon learned that if I was going to survive the race, I would have to turn it down a notch and be more precise with front wheel placement instead of just ramming into everything.

In the end my jersey style probably caused me to get a flat by just slamming into rock faces.  Also, while in Jersey I rarely get nervous about falling (as everything is soft sand), but I was definitely more nervous and aware falling in rocks could cause some major damage to me and the bike.

Also, that strange black dirt that really isn't dirt (tiny rocks) is pretty weird...LOL 

To bad about the flat. The black dirt was probably slag. You were riding in coal cracker territory. The rocks...well it is Pa. Two things we have in this state...Imbedded square hit rocks in all the wrong places and shitty roads. It is a more calculated line through both trails and roads. Glad you had fun. Durty Dabbers is this weekend. Two day dual sport. Seven Mountain is on the 21st of June, one day. Both are a blast.

Yea strange black dirt (mostly coal scrap) and rocks are all over. But seriously if you know what single track to hit up here in PA theres very little rocks.

I herd that OXBO race was terribly rocky.

I let my buddy race my 350 in it and he said it was miserable and hes a PRO Motocrosser in great shape. He finished 4th in A and this kid is retarded fast, so it was a tuff ass race. Look at the results there was like 25 or more DNF's.

Are you goin to the durty dabbers dualsport PoconoVFR? Ill be there sat and sunday my self

It was miserable but I didn't want to complain.  Rocks along the lines of an enduro-x rock pit.  

I didn't mind it so much as I was concerned about falling over, especially for the bike.  I fell once and when got back to my truck, my seat was out of whack and I had to bend some metal to get it back in shape...and that was a very light fall.

I can see it getting expensive to ride in PA.  I am staying in Jersey this weekend.

Edited by 95jersey

OXBO wasn't bad, just greasy in spots. Thats what makes ECEA so cool, the diversity of the terrain between events, you have to ride it all well.

I love PA riding, you're right you really have to enjoy, or at least tolerate, riding rock gardens though.

Personally, I'd rather ride rocks and hill climbs over sand any day of the week, if not for the scenery alone.

• Like 1