What kind of oil in a 1997 klx 300?

I've got a manual for the bike coming in the mail, but I just bought the bike and I'm really wanting to ride it right now.. Manual won't be here for a cpl days...anyone know what kind of oil to put in it???

Any brand of 10W-40, 20W-50 oil that is made for motorcycles should work. I use 20W-50 Castrol in my KLX300. If you do not want to spend the extra for synthetics, semisyns will work as well as your basic oils. Just make sure what you use is specific to motorcycles.

Any brand of 10W-40, 20W-50 oil that is made for motorcycles should work. I use 20W-50 Castrol in my KLX300. If you do not want to spend the extra for synthetics, semisyns will work as well as your basic oils. Just make sure what you use is specific to motorcycles.

Ok thxs.... I seen on the side of the engine rite where the oil cap is, 1.5 liters, that the amount of oil that goes in there??

Edited by Fordshelby500

I have a KLR 250, which is practically the same bike. I would personally reccomend 20W-50 Valvoline Full Synthetic just because its thicker and increases cooling and engine life. Dont ever use 10W-40 conventional...and 1.5 quarts is the amount yes. Good luck

I pretty much always use the cheap Valvoline MC oil from Walmart and I mix 20w50 and 10w40.  I just recently changed the oil and looking at my records I tend to change oil around 700-800 miles.

Same thing that I run in my street bike: Rotella T 15W40