Sign in to follow this  

Help pls

Hey all, hope everyone is doin good. I'm a 6'3 160 lb kid, that isn't finished growing quite yet. I may get a little taller, and definitely heavier. I have little experience riding a gas dirt bike, but my parents are buying me one of my choice. What bike would be a good starter bike for a kid my size with little experience? I was thinking something like a TTR 125 or klx 125...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd go with a bike you aren't gonna out grow in both power or size. You are tall so seat hight isn't an issue. And as far as being a beginner that really doesn't matter IMHO. I learned on an xr650l and now when I jump on a friend's smaller bike I can man handle theM and really push it. Id look in to like crf 450 or something comparable. If you get a 125 or even 250 you are gonna get used to it and really wish you had more power. Just take it easy at first. That's just my $0.02

Welcome Hector. Depends on the kind of riding you want to do (mx vs trails). With your height, you will feel very cramped in the seat on many bikes. Definately get a good feel for which ever bike you decide to get. Personally, I would recommend KTM as they tend to be tall compared to the jap bikes. :thumbsup:

At 6'3 you're going to need a big bike with a tall seat...get some meat on you and it won't be a handful.

I'd go with a bike you aren't gonna out grow in both power or size. You are tall so seat hight isn't an issue. And as far as being a beginner that really doesn't matter IMHO. I learned on an xr650l and now when I jump on a friend's smaller bike I can man handle theM and really push it. Id look in to like crf 450 or something comparable. If you get a 125 or even 250 you are gonna get used to it and really wish you had more power. Just take it easy at first. That's just my $0.02

Only problem is, I won't be riding too often...I don't have very many places to ride around and I'm not old enough to drive to nearby trails or tracks.  Thats why I was thinking something smaller than a 450. Thanks for the help so far!

Welcome Hector. Depends on the kind of riding you want to do (mx vs trails). With your height, you will feel very cramped in the seat on many bikes. Definately get a good feel for which ever bike you decide to get. Personally, I would recommend KTM as they tend to be tall compared to the jap bikes. :thumbsup:

Would you recommend a 125  or 150 or what? I don't have very many places to ride, except for one trail close by. Thanks for the help so far!

• Like 1

The crf450 is also a little out of the price range for the kind of riding I'd be doing. I don't really have anywhere to ride, so I'm not lookin to make my folks spend that much. 

Would you recommend a 125  or 150 or what? I don't have very many places to ride, except for one trail close by. Thanks for the help so far!

I would say the 150. Little extra power and growing room. First thing I'd do is post in the regional section of TT and meet some buddies with a truck. That way you will have some transportation options and you'll also meet some good dudes in your area to ride with as well. :thumbsup:

Only problem is, I won't be riding too often...I don't have very many places to ride around and I'm not old enough to drive to nearby trails or tracks. Thats why I was thinking something smaller than a 450. Thanks for the help so far!

How old are you? You can get a permit to ride on the road by yourself at 15 1/2.

Ttr r ok but slow, u would get used to the power fast and want more power. Your big enough for a 250 or possibly 450

14 years old sir

Hahaha I'm definitely not a sir. I'm only 23. And I work for a living lmao.

You are pretty close to being able to get a permit. You might want to consider looking into a used dual sport. Like a 450 size maybe. For now you can trail ride or just take the track a little slower and in a year and a half ish you. cam drive it to the trails and go explore. Whe. I first got my permit I used to be out exploring allll day. Somethimessage I'd be like 100 miles from home and have to call my girlfriend to look up on the computer how to get home. (Didn't have a smartphone yet). Just something to consider. I think everyone giving advise has valid points but probably just thinks that their style of riding is the most fun.