Sign in to follow this  

Twisted Engineering composite bars or revalve suspension?

I recently bought a new (left over) 2013 KX450F and have been getting back into riding after 7 years off. I'm in my 40s and I really destroyed my wrist which forced me out of riding. I started riding mx a few weeks ago and my wrist is better than expected but both wrists really feel it if I come up short on a large table top and overall, I'm getting arm pump pretty bad.

So I've been reading about Twisted Engineerings composite handle bars and the reviews seem to be really good but they cost almost as much as revalving my suspension. I've heard the KYB PSF forks are amazing after getting rid of the harsh stock midvalve. So my question is should I go with the composite bars, revalve or both? I can afford both and I suppose comfort is key at my age to keep this old body riding as long as possible. But I've also read guys saying how their harsh front end went away with the Twisted bars while others said how a revalue made all the difference so I may not need both.

Also, how are the 3x flex bars for mx? The only thing that makes me nervous is if i have a bad crash, am i going to be wondering if the bars have hidden damage and they could snap on me. That said, it sounds like they dont break without visible damage from a previous crash. Thanks!

I have twisted engineering bars, they are really nice but wont make up for poor suspension. They are also somewhat fragile in my experience (or im just unlucky) I'm on my second set and they are already probably permanently damaged. may be replacing them with flexx since you can replace parts on those.

The TE bars are far from a gimmick, they work very well. I love my 3x bars for MX.... having said that, suspension first, easily. Before going into a revalve, try the simple things like clickers and springs. If you can do both, then DO IT. Welcome back.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

I have the 3x twisted bars are they are great BUT for sure do the revalve first then if you want a little more get the bars as well. They really do work well.

• Like 1

I saw a 2013 kx450f listed for 4999$+ doc fees and prep. Was tempting!! Went for a left over yz250 instead, enjoy man I'm jumping back into it as well.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll get suspension dialed first then consider bars. Good to hear about how fragile the Twisted bars are as $300 is too much for something that has to be replaced after a crash. They should have a warranty for that kind of money. Now to figure out which suspension company for the kyb air forks.

I have twisted engineering bars, they are really nice but wont make up for poor suspension. They are also somewhat fragile in my experience (or im just unlucky) I'm on my second set and they are already probably permanently damaged. may be replacing them with flexx since you can replace parts on those.

Curious as to what has happened?  I have gone down a few times and mine have been fine.  Are yours the newer generation ones?

Both were Gen two, fist set lasted a year and broke from a loopout. Second set lasted  about 10 riding hours. Second set is still usable, but has started de-laminating after a fairly hard highside crash last weekend.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll get suspension dialed first then consider bars. Good to hear about how fragile the Twisted bars are as $300 is too much for something that has to be replaced after a crash. They should have a warranty for that kind of money. Now to figure out which suspension company for the kyb air forks.

You have the wrong impression, they are not fragile. Can they be broken? Of course they can, everything can. There will be the possibility you will need to replace them after a sever crash, but unlikely. I think Wild Alaskan either has bad luck or something else going on.

I'm not sure what else could be going on besides crashing that would lead to handlebar failure. heck they survived this crash.

10015659_670378396330675_298907917443340

I don't blame the bars that much I went through 7/8th bars like candy when i used to use them, Haven't ever damaged an aluminum 1 1/8th bar though. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what else could be going on besides crashing that would lead to handlebar failure. heck they survived this crash.

10015659_670378396330675_298907917443340

I don't blame the bars that much I went through 7/8th bars like candy when i used to use them, Haven't ever damaged an aluminum 1 1/8th bar though. 

Looks like you're pretty easy on equipment there!

Post a pick if you have the chance of the delaminated new ones.  Plus if they broke within 6 months isn't there some partial/discount warranty for a new pair?

Edited by c-slak

I recently bought a new (left over) 2013 KX450F and have been getting back into riding after 7 years off. I'm in my 40s and I really destroyed my wrist which forced me out of riding. I started riding mx a few weeks ago and my wrist is better than expected but both wrists really feel it if I come up short on a large table top and overall, I'm getting arm pump pretty bad.

So I've been reading about Twisted Engineerings composite handle bars and the reviews seem to be really good but they cost almost as much as revalving my suspension. I've heard the KYB PSF forks are amazing after getting rid of the harsh stock midvalve. So my question is should I go with the composite bars, revalve or both? I can afford both and I suppose comfort is key at my age to keep this old body riding as long as possible. But I've also read guys saying how their harsh front end went away with the Twisted bars while others said how a revalue made all the difference so I may not need both.

Also, how are the 3x flex bars for mx? The only thing that makes me nervous is if i have a bad crash, am i going to be wondering if the bars have hidden damage and they could snap on me. That said, it sounds like they dont break without visible damage from a previous crash. Thanks!

One thing that is important to note id that these bars do not snap off when they fail, The one that I broke the kevlar strands themselves were still mostly connected but the matrix had failed. The bars were floppy on one side but functional enough the bike could still be ridden

• Like 1

Looks like you're pretty easy on equipment there!

Post a pick if you have the chance of the delaminated new ones.  Plus if they broke within 6 months isn't there some partial/discount warranty for a new pair?

Yes there is a discount, I bought this set with the discount which twisted generously extended beyond the actual warrantee of the original set. But even so i cant swing $200 (discount price) this often. I would still recommend them to people who don't crash hard very often, they work well at everything they are supposed to do the cost of damaging them is just too high for me to want to replace them with another set

here are my new ones :(

IMG_0327_zps1tkcwhbb.jpg

Yes there is a discount, I bought this set with the discount which twisted generously extended beyond the actual warrantee of the original set. But even so i cant swing $200 (discount price) this often. I would still recommend them to people who don't crash hard very often, they work well at everything they are supposed to do the cost of damaging them is just too high for me to want to replace them with another set

here are my new ones :(

IMG_0327_zps1tkcwhbb.jpg

OH, my. Not good. Have you contacted TE? After this many failures they should be bowing down to you to help you out, else their reputation is ruined.  And I won't spend my $$$$$ on them. 

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

I was a carbon holdout for many years until I saw this video.  Now I'm a carbon loyal.  If TE did some real-world comparison like this it would renew my faith in them. 

OH, my. Not good. Have you contacted TE? After this many failures they should be bowing down to you to help you out, else their reputation is ruined.  And I won't spend my $$$$$ on them. 

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

I was a carbon holdout for many years until I saw this video.  Now I'm a carbon loyal.  If TE did some real-world comparison like this it would renew my faith in them. 

Yeah they aren't bowing down much, didn't even bother contacting them the second time, can't afford to keep buying these (even at 20% discount warranty) despite how good they are at flexing.

For now I am running them bent.

Definitely revalve first. I really like my TE bars. I have one bike with and one with out TE bars. Both bikes have been revalved. It is a noticeable difference between the two. I will in the future put a set on the other bike. I have not had any issues with my TE bars. They have taken many big hits.

Edited by cleaner1