Sign in to follow this  

How do I refinish my exhaust?

I am trying to spruce up a used exhaust system, make it look a little better. What do you suggest?

I got a used RS2 system for about $300, but its a little worse for wear than I thought. After washing it well this is how it looks. Im going to polish the muffler(aluminum), but what should i do to the pipe and header?

1430410517292.jpg

1430410542804.jpg

The header I really wouldn't worry about much. Even if you clean it, it will quickly discolor again.

The muffler though is the easy part. I used Mothers Mag Wheel Polish on mine after shortening it. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to do the entire thing:

rs2mod4.jpg

Edited by OhioYJ
  • Like 3

I don't see the springs, mounting hardware, or heat shield in the pictures? Did you get the rest of this stuff?

The professional way to get a chrome like finnish is to use a bench grinder (they make a polishing specific one but any will work). A couple spiral sewn cotton. Wheels and some emery compounds. If you have the bench grinder the rest will cost less than $50 and you could polish any stainless or aluminum to a mirror chrome finnish.

FB_IMG_1422325885114.jpg

FB_IMG_1424213928212.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430423531.133615.jpg I was thinking about using some steel wool and returning my MRD to how it looked when I got it. This color just doesn't look nearly as good lol. Not looking to polish it, just would like the stainless look again. You're saying it'll return to this color shortly after? :(

The header I really wouldn't worry about much. Even if you clean it, it will quickly discolor again.

The muffler though is the easy part. I used Mothers Mag Wheel Polish on mine after shortening it. Took all of maybe 10 minutes.

Thats my plan for the muffler, mothers powerball and mag polish.

Try a bit of auto paint cut n polish, it won't be as harsh as steel wool and won't leave scratches.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430423531.133615.jpg I was thinking about using some steel wool and returning my MRD to how it looked when I got it. This color just doesn't look nearly as good lol. Not looking to polish it, just would like the stainless look again. You're saying it'll return to this color shortly after? :(

My way was to polish it to chrome look. It won't make it look like it did when it came stock. What about a wire wheel, might remove all the road/dirt build up and the color (depending on what type of wire wheel used) and give you that fresh out of the UPS box look.

For the stainless steel parts I used a Scotch Brite pad, Comet and lots of elbow grease. Came out real nice. Yes it has since discolored again. I don't mind. That is what stainless steel pipes do. The next time it is removed for engine work I will do it again and start all over.

Anything such as oils, WD40 or fingerprints will discolor the clean pipe faster than just plain clean, well washed SS.

• Like 1

i wouldnt use steel wool, it has a way of embedding in things and making them rust ... i wouldnt get too crazy if i was working with that .. i'd try some blue magic or happich semi chrome polish and if its too beat up to polish out i would probably go for the 'brushed' look and wet sand it with 600 wiping only length-wise and THEN polish it and call it titties ..

For the stainless steel parts I used a Scotch Brite pad, Comet and lots of elbow grease. Came out real nice. Yes it has since discolored again. I don't mind. That is what stainless steel pipes do. The next time it is removed for engine work I will do it again and start all over.

Anything such as oils, WD40 or fingerprints will discolor the clean pipe faster than just plain clean, well washed SS.

I would also go with Scotch Brite pad, red or green should do the trick.

I would also go with Scotch Brite pad, red or green should do the trick.

I had some brown ones. Don't know the grit. My MRD pipe sys was well used when I first got it . Coated heavily in baked on crud. My final finish came by way of the pads and Comet. I did use 220, 400 and 600 wet or dry sandpaper to get the bad stuff off at first. The pad actually did better than the sandpaper. The paper kept breaking apart because of the curvature. The pad also gave the can a brushed aluminium look when final finished in one direction. I metal polished the tip. Turn out real nice over all. The new MRD sticker made it look better than factory fresh. :)

• Like 1

The muffler though is the easy part. I used Mothers Mag Wheel Polish on mine after shortening it. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to do the entire thing:

rs2mod4.jpg

Nice job! That's the best looking RS2 I've seen Ohio.......the shortening makes it look muy bueno. How much did you shorten it?.......and does it sound any different?

• Like 3

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430423531.133615.jpg I was thinking about using some steel wool and returning my MRD to how it looked when I got it. This color just doesn't look nearly as good lol. Not looking to polish it, just would like the stainless look again. You're saying it'll return to this color shortly after? :(

Yes, the golden color will return…. I picked up a used RS3 kit and polished the sh*t out of it.  The muffler still looks good, the header and mid-pipe are "discolored".  The header looks the worst since it gets a lot of dirt, mud and water splashing on it while its hot and is discolors very quickly.

I was thinking of giving it a good thick coat of wd40 or rubbing on motor oil the letting it all smoke off as it heats up. Sound like a bad idea?

Very bad idea, just clean it up and learn to live with it or polish it often.

• Like 1

I had some brown ones. Don't know the grit. My MRD pipe sys was well used when I first got it . Coated heavily in baked on crud. My final finish came by way of the pads and Comet. I did use 220, 400 and 600 wet or dry sandpaper to get the bad stuff off at first. The pad actually did better than the sandpaper. The paper kept breaking apart because of the curvature. The pad also gave the can a brushed aluminium look when final finished in one direction. I metal polished the tip. Turn out real nice over all. The new MRD sticker made it look better than factory fresh. :)

Pics or didn't happen

• Like 2

Yes I have pics... man this is a tuff room...LOL!Maybe I can post them. I am not to good at that....

Here are some pics of my MRD. When it came, after I polished it and after many rides. It's definitely easier to keep it cleaner with it polished.

20150102_165631_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150102_185031_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150102_223012_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 7