01 cr85 please help! idle issue

so I have a 01 cr85 

1st I checked compression (160psi)

then took the carb apart cleaned it all out, also got a new spark plug for it. 

adjusted the air and fuel screws to original settings, 

made sure the slide and the throttle was snapping back good

BUT 

still I need to prime the dirt bike (put some gas in where the air filter goes) and give it full throttle to get it to start, then after 2 seconds it revs wide open like its about to blow. if i dont give it full throttle it just trys to start (spudders then dies)

Any suggestions?! Appreciate any kind of help 

11160538_1626940680853324_368520856_n.jpg

could the crank seal on the magneto side cause this? local shop said it dont sound like it would just make the bike run lean when on the throttle. Any suggestions are very appreciated

If you cleaned out the carb, it's not there.  The problem may lie in the throttle cable being adjusted too tightly, so it's alwqays pulling on the throttle slide.  When riding the sand dunes, my father never maintained our bikes properly.  One time my Blaster 200 quad would start revving to the moon if I let it idle.  I could ride it, but it slowly climbed to the rev limiter while idling. 

The kill switch didn't even kill the engine!!  Dad had to lean forward on the bike, grab the brakes, and jam the bike into second gear to slip the clutch and kill the motor.  It turned out to be electrical in nature, but I'd be lying if I knew exactly what the problem was. 

If you cleaned out the carb, it's not there.  The problem may lie in the throttle cable being adjusted too tightly, so it's alwqays pulling on the throttle slide.  When riding the sand dunes, my father never maintained our bikes properly.  One time my Blaster 200 quad would start revving to the moon if I let it idle.  I could ride it, but it slowly climbed to the rev limiter while idling. 

The kill switch didn't even kill the engine!!  Dad had to lean forward on the bike, grab the brakes, and jam the bike into second gear to slip the clutch and kill the motor.  It turned out to be electrical in nature, but I'd be lying if I knew exactly what the problem was. 

my cable seems fine, its not too tight,no kinks or bends, when i twist the throttle it snaps back like its suppost to. I have to prime the bike and give it full throttle to get it to fire though then i let off the throttle and 2 seconds later its screaming for help..(luckily the kill switch kills it. If i just prime it and dont give it throttle it trys to start but dont.

Check you are getting good fuel flow from the tank to the carby, it could be a blocked filter.

Also check you float level, sounds like it could be a little low.

Okay ill check the float level again, its getting plenty of gas to the carb, i just took off my magneto side cover cause i noticed a liquid was seeping through the bottom.. come to find out it was gas, this means a new crank seal on that side should solve the problem? took some pictures but dont know how to send them 

Try sealing the magneto side cover completely with some blu tack or some type of removable putty just to confirm the crank seal is the issue.

It's a big job to replace and you don't want to replace it if it wasn't necessary although it does sound like the culprit.

Try sealing the magneto side cover completely with some blu tack or some type of removable putty just to confirm the crank seal is the issue.

It's a big job to replace and you don't want to replace it if it wasn't necessary although it does sound like the culprit.

yea thats a good idea, obv. if it stops it from doing that then thats the issue, why you say it dont sound like the problem? wont a air leak do this? and why would gas be coming out of there it looked pretty nasty in there

http://tinypic.com/r/141ocbd/8

http://tinypic.com/r/29mqgwn/8

just gave it some more kicks without priming it to see if it would leak and it dont... and doesnt even try to start until u prime it then it does, gas only is coming out of there when i prime it, seems like its lacking fuel i dont know how though

Replace the crank seal, if it is leaking gas, it is leaking air, and it needs replaced.  I think you are not getting good fuel flow to the carb and it is running the bowl out of gas and that is why it is revving up when it has run for a sec.  both the crank seal and the fuel flow combined. 

Replace the crank seal, if it is leaking gas, it is leaking air, and it needs replaced.  I think you are not getting good fuel flow to the carb and it is running the bowl out of gas and that is why it is revving up when it has run for a sec.  both the crank seal and the fuel flow combined. i ju

im pretty sure im getting good gas to the carb, just not sure if im getting enough the the cylinder, odd how it will fire up with prime but not even try without prime. Its def gotta be that crank seal sucking in a lot of air. Have any idea how much this would cost me to have done at a local shop? 

im pretty sure im getting good gas to the carb, just not sure if im getting enough the the cylinder, odd how it will fire up with prime but not even try without prime. Its def gotta be that crank seal sucking in a lot of air. Have any idea how much this would cost me to have done at a local shop? 

You can replace the seals in about 30 minutes yourself if you have a flywheel puller.  You just have to remove the flywheel cover, remove the flywheel, there are 4 Allen head bolts holding on the stator.  I have used small screwdrivers to remove the seal (being very careful not to damage the crank and then tap the new seal in using a 1/4 inch ratchet extension.  I now have seal pullers and a seal press that makes the job much easier but you can do it with simple hand tools.  A dealership is going to flat rate you on the job and it will cost a lot of money that way.  The seal is about $10 for an OEM seal.

You can replace the seals in about 30 minutes yourself if you have a flywheel puller. You just have to remove the flywheel cover, remove the flywheel, there are 4 Allen head bolts holding on the stator. I have used small screwdrivers to remove the seal (being very careful not to damage the crank and then tap the new seal in using a 1/4 inch ratchet extension. I now have seal pullers and a seal press that makes the job much easier but you can do it with simple hand tools. A dealership is going to flat rate you on the job and it will cost a lot of money that way. The seal is about $10 for an OEM seal.

+1

When you are kick starting a bike you get little vacuum to suck fuel through the carby if it's leaking air through the crank seal then the amount of air being pulled through the carby would be greatly compromised.

You have fuel under the magneto cover that shouldn't be there so there is an obvious problem. Do as the above post recommends and replace the seal.

Does it rev like a bike with the fuel cock off?

+1

When you are kick starting a bike you get little vacuum to suck fuel through the carby if it's leaking air through the crank seal then the amount of air being pulled through the carby would be greatly compromised.

You have fuel under the magneto cover that shouldn't be there so there is an obvious problem. Do as the above post recommends and replace the seal.

Does it rev like a bike with the fuel cock off?

yea almost as if its starving for gas but it revs sky high, ( id say as much as it can) so i kill it thank god kill switch works 

im gonna see if a couple of my friends got a flywheel puller, am i gonna need  a compressing drill to get that center nut off? how do you keep it from spinning when taking it off? lol Sorry for being such a noob at this never had a issue like this before.