Sign in to follow this  

125 or 250 2stroke

hi, I am looking to buy a new bike, I currently have a yz85 but it os to small for me and I have been saving up to buy a bigger bike. I have been riding since I was 3 years old but have never raced and I am thinking about starting. i am thinking about buying a 125 but a 250 keeps popping into my head. I am 5'10" 170 pounds. I am all about speed and power and I think a 250 would be suitable for me. I have driven 125's In the past but i didn't wanna spend money on another bike at the time. I could really use some advice to pick the best suitable bike for me

"Don't get you ambitions mixed up with your ability's".

IMO. A 125 is a big part of the learning curve and shouldn't be skipped.

• Like 5

125's are a really necessary part of learning to ride a 2 stroke, when I learned to race I started on a 85 but hopped up to a 125 pretty quickly as a 250 way over my head... 

I've been riding 2strokes for 12 years I'm a experienced rider I've spent around 15 hours riding the odd 125 and It just feels a bit under powered

Both bikes have there pro's and cons. Not all 125's are created equal. If you go the 125 route your best bet is a newer yz or ktm.

I've been riding for 35 years. I've had cr's and kx 250's, 3 CR500'S a WR426 and a ktm450 Plus 10 or so other dirt bikes.

i have a 13 ktm 125sx right now and all I can say is its one of the funest bikes I ever owned. Theres nothing like ringing a 125 out. There light ,fast, handle great and will make you a better rider.

most young guy's can't wait to get on a bigger bike. They think cc's = speed . hell I was one of those guys. 16yo and racing a cr500. Now I'm 200lbs 43yo on a 125 and enjoying the hell out of it.

Everyone will give you there opinion but

only you can decide what is best for you.

Keep an open mind and do your homework.

• Like 4

I've been riding 2strokes for 12 years I'm a experienced rider I've spent around 15 hours riding the odd 125 and It just feels a bit under powered

Find an open field or long straight away. Get a 125 in 5th or 6th gear and ride it wide open throttle. Does it still feel under powered? 99.9999% chance the correct answer is no. You just aren't riding it right, they are harder to ride fast, but the technique learned is invaluable.

I'm going to copy and paste a post I made yesterday, same topic:

I'm glad you're already leaning towards the 125. I was in your exact same position 4 years ago. College student, 20 yo, 150 lbs, 6'2. I bought a 2001 CR125 and a just few months ago picked up a 2011 YZ125. The 125 is going to teach you proper riding technique because you don't really have a choice. It has plenty of horsepower to get around any track, you're just going to have to learn how to use it and most importantly - carry your speed. That is one of the biggest advantages to learning on a 125, you'll never get fast on it until you learn to carry your speed and hit corners fast. The other main reason I prefer it is for the lack of power, its easier to avoid hairy situations, especially whiskey throttle. When I have a rough landing or am riding tired and whiskey throttle, I typically have time to get off the gas and hit the brakes. On a big bike, you would have already looped out or flew off a berm (very dangerous). Riding a big bike can make you lazier and breed poor technique, you can enter corners slow and just grab a handful of throttle and power out. On the 125 you're going to be using both arms and feet on the controls on damn near every corner.

I've always told myself once i'm able to fly around the track in 5th and 6th gear on my 125, then I'll be ready to harvest the power of a 250 2t or 450. I'll buy a 250f once I can afford to rebuild the damn engine regularly. 

To summarize, I can probably turn a slightly faster lap time on a 250 2t or 450f on the right track, but only because i'm able to cheat and cut corners with bad/lazy technique using the throttle/horsepower to compensate.

• Like 2

I have been riding 2 and 4 strokes for 40 years and a 125 still has the ability to scare my pants off if I let it ring through the gears. If you are bored on a 125 MX bike you are either short-shifting it or it isn't running right.

• Like 1

I have been riding 2 and 4 strokes for 40 years and a 125 still has the ability to scare my pants off if I let it ring through the gears. If you are bored on a 125 MX bike you are either short-shifting it or it isn't running right.

i have fun on 125's there great bikes the point is I did a lot of reviews on 250's and I've heard good/bad things about them. I'm goin riding with my friends this weekend and I'm gonna try out his 2012 rm 125 for a few hours
  • Like 1

i have fun on 125's there great bikes the point is I did a lot of reviews on 250's and I've heard good/bad things about them. I'm goin riding with my friends this weekend and I'm gonna try out his 2012 rm 125 for a few hours

Just remember that the RM's like to scream, so don't short change it...

2012 RM125 :huh: .

They stopped making RM125's in 07 and stopped selling them here in 09.

• Like 1

2012 RM125 :huh: .

They stopped making RM125's in 07 and stopped selling them here in 09.

well I'm goin with what he told me bud lol

well I'm goin with what he told me bud lol

and it's kinda funny that you can search 2012 rm125 and 2012 rm125's show up

I would say if you're doing trails/hillclimbs them 250 all the way. but if you're riding track then I would go 125.

You might also what to take a look at the ktm 150. I was going to buy one but found a killer deal on the 125 I got. The 150'S feel like a 125 on steroids. More power everywhere over the 125 but more manageable than a 250.