Sign in to follow this  

Float bowl screws.

What type of screws/bolts (not size) should i use to replace these damn Phillips head screws?

I think every mikuni carb I've ever touched has given me issues getting the float bowl screws out. Im so tired of dealing with crappy Philips screws, what do you suggest i replace the stock screws with?

What type of screws/bolts (not size) should i use to replace these damn Phillips head screws?

I think every mikuni carb I've ever touched has given me issues getting the float bowl screws out. Im so tired of dealing with crappy Philips screws, what do you suggest i replace the stock screws with?

1st they are not Phillips, they are Japanese Industrial Standard(JIS), and using a phillips driver bit by hand is likely why you are not having good luck not damaging them. 

2nd the screws tend to lock when installed at the factory, 1st removal with a hand impact and phillips #2 bit is a easy way to loosen damage free.

Buying a set of JIS screw drives is a good idea if you want to loosen and tighten JIS screws..

Float bowl screws are commonly replaced with socket head cap screws. 

Allen heads. The TT store sells them or just get some from your local hardware store.

X2 I get hardened ones at the local ACE. Something like $.40 a piece.

1st they are not Phillips, they are Japanese Industrial Standard(JIS), and using a phillips driver bit by hand is likely why you are not having good luck not damaging them.

2nd the screws tend to lock when installed at the factory, 1st removal with a hand impact and phillips #2 bit is a easy way to loosen damage free.

Buying a set of JIS screw drives is a good idea if you want to loosen and tighten JIS screws..

Float bowl screws are commonly replaced with socket head cap screws.

Ohh, i wasn't aware it was a special screw head (not phillips), I've always just chose the best fitting phillips in my tool box. I will certainly try to find some JIS drivers. Thanks.

It seems even when I've installed the screws myself they always stick. Steel in aluminum may be part of the problem.

Actually called "socket head cap screws" are what you need, with one being slightly longer for the idle adjustment screw bracket. 

Take an oem screw with you to any HD/Lowes or hardware store to match the threads.

You might get lucky and find stainless steel.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hozan is the brand of JIS #2 screwdriver I use to work on Japanese cars as well as motorcycle stuff and they work superb.The Japanese don't subscribe to the Phillips standard like the USA does.

• Like 1

Picked up some "M4-10 Socket Cap Machine Screws", did the trick. Grabbed more spares for the next time im working on a mikuni.

:thumbsup:

yep, allen is actually a hex key wrench brand used generically as screw type...kind of like "thermos" used for any vacuum bottle.

;)