Hour meter

I installed a Hardwire brand hour meter wich also has a tach function. The manual says the idle speed is 1900-2100 but the tach is saying 950ish. I wrapped the wire tightly around the plug wire as per instructions...it's a 2015 yz250fx Thanks!

check the instructions, not sure if there is a 2 or 4 stroke setting

That bike should have coil on plug ignition. You wrap the wire around the base of the coil where it seals to the valve cover, not the wires coming off the coil.

Sorry I meant to say Hardline I think it's called. Anyways what do these bikes usually idle at? I don't think it's reading right.

That bike should have coil on plug ignition. You wrap the wire around the base of the coil where it seals to the valve cover, not the wires coming off the coil.

2014+ use an old school coil and plug wire.

Sorry I meant to say Hardline I think it's called. Anyways what do these bikes usually idle at? I don't think it's reading right.

I believe my F is set to 1850 ish.. any lower and it stalls easily and is a bitch to restart.

I thought it was high as well..

Does the meter have a "ppr" setting? Might have to change for EFI. Should be around 2K at idle.

Ya it just look like a regular plug boot to me so I just wrapped the plug wire.Ill check for settings

2 strokes fire the spark plug once per revolution (RPM), four strokes fire once every other revolution - i.e. every 2 rpm's.  Consequently, if the meter doesn't have a two stroke vs 4 stroke setting option, you have to multiply the reading by 2.

I installed a Hardwire brand hour meter wich also has a tach function. The manual says the idle speed is 1900-2100 but the tach is saying 950ish. I wrapped the wire tightly around the plug wire as per instructions...it's a 2015 yz250fx Thanks!

Update...ya it just had to be set to the proper setting. Thanks for all the help guys.