Sign in to follow this  

FMF Q4 -- Need Some Convincing

I'm contemplating replacing my stock exhaust, but am hesitant to spend $300 on a muffler.  I love the deep subtle sound of the FMF Q4, but I'm not sure I love it that much, and I don't want to lose any of my bottom end (if that is even a possibility) as I ride mostly single track and lower gears (1st-3rd).  Should I just retain my stock exhaust or are there enough benefits of going with an aftermarket muffler to justify the cost? BTW, I have already opened up the intake and installed a JD Jetting kit. 

Stock is very good! I run it, the CC mods, and JD Jetting.

I also have a Yoshimura exhaust, which I like, with a header that is shorter than the X, probably about the length of the R header. It has a nice sound and is a bit lighter than stock. And the R header tucks in tighter than the X header.

If you are primarily doing trail riding I would consider staying with stock.

Like Chuck said the stock exhaust is pretty good. I didn't notice a big difference when I replaced it, maybe seemed a little bit more free sounding?  :excuseme:  If you're just doing trail riding, the most you'll probably get out of it is sound and cosmetics, also maybe saving 2-3 lbs. The way I see it, is that's 300 you can put towards the bike or on fuel getting you to riding spots just my .02. The only reason I changed is I found a good deal on the Lexx MXe and figured why not. 

Cheers, Hudsen 

i have a fmf end can and a power  bomb manifold not really a big difference mayby a little more bottom makes a nice noise and is lighter .I waited until i got a good deal for a used set unless its a really good deal dont bother they do come up .on uk ebay today there is a yoshimura full exhaust for 15 uk pounds the auction has not finished yet but if no one bids it would be a cheap item .

I have a Q4 and am not that impressed with it.  Had the T4 before that and although loud, i feel it was a better can.  if you want nice sound, decent performance, and a good price, go with a DG.  i have one on my XR600 and cannot complain about it.  

250X%20001.jpg

I have a CRF250X 2007 I opened the air box, JD jet kit and went with the FMFPowercore 4 they do offer a insert i you want to drop the DB's down a couple (mines at 94db's without the insert) the stock pipe on the 250X is terrible. (If this is the bike you talking about)

I still have the stock header I just bought the slip-on. I like it.

Edited by EarthCruzn

250X%20001.jpg

I have a CRF250X 2007 I opened the air box, JD jet kit and went with the FMFPowercore 4 they do offer a insert i you want to drop the DB's down a couple (mines at 94db's without the insert) the stock pipe on the 250X is terrible. (If this is the bike you talking about)

I still have the stock header I just bought the slip-on. I like it.

tour powercore drops your Db I too have one (came on the bike) and it is soooo loud, especially compared to my friends stock 250x. The sound is a awesome but just to loud.

I here ya, but with the intake/cab mod's that were done (JD jetting and snorkel) to work for ya, you need to get rid of that OEM silencer. You can keep it (maybe) just make sure your not running too rich......

Ride On!

A lot of opinions say breathing improvements for the X are primarily on the intake side, not the muffler.

Have said that I have a complete Yoshimura exhaust system for sale.

I was listening to my X idle today and I like it as is.

I here ya, but with the intake/cab mod's that were done (JD jetting and snorkel) to work for ya, you need to get rid of that OEM silencer. You can keep it (maybe) just make sure your not running too rich......

Ride On!

Not the experience of other X owners or dyno tests; the most power gains are from intake mods and rejetting. And if you want more then you need R engine parts. 

Experience by owners of other brands have also shown that factory resonator mufflers like on the X  are very effective for power and difficult to improve on by using after market. I've also done exhaust testing on XRs and the factory resonator mufflers produced the most top end power when compared to after market mufflers that were noise compliant with sanctioning bodies and land managers. So if you want noise spend $300-700 on an after market system, but the power increase for the money spent just isn't there.

From personal experience loud exhaust systems are tiring on long rides.  It is interesting to ride a bike with a quiet engine and be able to hear other things like the chain, intake noise, other bikes, etc.

I most definitely do not want louder. I was under the impression that the Q4 has a deeper tone and therefore sounds quieter, which is what I'm looking for. Loud bikes are irritating.

The Q4 is definitly not as loud as the Powercore 4, and yes the Q4 has a deeper tone, I have both pipes on two different bikes. My 250X with the Powercore 4 is louder than my friends 250X with the Q4, so much so I bought a quieting insert for the Powercore 4 when we went to certain riding areas........ I agree you can be toooo loud.

I put a Lexx on my 250X. A little louder than stock, and deeper tone. Extra power - I don't think so. It looks better and weighs 5 lbs less but that's about it. Save your money unless you want lighter.

I put a Lexx on my 250X. A little louder than stock, and deeper tone. Extra power - I don't think so. It looks better and weighs 5 lbs less but that's about it. Save your money unless you want lighter.

The Lexx is 2 oz heavier than my 2013 stock exhaust. 

The Lexx is 2 oz heavier than my 2013 stock exhaust.

I misstated a bit. I put a Lexx and a powerbomb header on at the same time. The combo of the 2 was about 3 lbs lighter than the stock header/muffler. Don't know what the actual weight of the Lexx was but it was definitely lighter than the stocker on my 07.

I misstated a bit. I put a Lexx and a powerbomb header on at the same time. The combo of the 2 was about 3 lbs lighter than the stock header/muffler. Don't know what the actual weight of the Lexx was but it was definitely lighter than the stocker on my 07.

I bought the Lexx for saving weight. 3 or 4 lbs lighter on top of the bike you can definitely feel it. So when I compared them, I was disappointed. Like I said the Lexx exhaust is a little heavier. After that, I learned that the stock exhaust changed in 2008 for a lighter model !!! 

You are right for the 2004-2007 bike