Sign in to follow this  

2006 KTM 450SX

I just got this bike. And I took it out for a ride and when I get into 4th gear and accelerant a lot it won't stay in 4th it revs up like the clutch is being pulled in and the throttle stays where it is reved and it slips down to 3rd. Won't stay in 4th. That's the only hear it does it in. Anyone know what it could be? Not sure if previous owner did the oil right. Is it a major expensive fix? Thanks!

I just got this bike. And I took it out for a ride and when I get into 4th gear and accelerant a lot it won't stay in 4th it revs up like the clutch is being pulled in and the throttle stays where it is reved and it slips down to 3rd. Won't stay in 4th. That's the only hear it does it in. Anyone know what it could be? Not sure if previous owner did the oil right. Is it a major expensive fix? Thanks!

A slipping clutch will make the engine rev up but not accelerate.

If it is actually dropping into third gear on its own then you have real problems and need to replace some shifter components. The previous owner must have abused it by shifting badly without the clutch.

So you think it'll be expensive to fix it slipping into 3rd on its own? I tried to hold it in 4th with my foot but it kept slipping I couldn't hold with my foot

Yes it won't be cheap

I guess the dogs on the gear are worn, if it will not stay in 4th.  but then you might have a few worn parts in there.. good luck