Opinion on this oil

Okay so yeah I know here we go...another oil thread. Well I'm about to change the old dirty oil in this 87 kx250 & I don't want to run ATF in it so would this be okay? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430448069.212222.jpg it's pennzoil 10w-40 non synthetic, here's an aweful picture ?

Okay so yeah I know here we go...another oil thread. Well I'm about to change the old dirty oil in this 87 kx250 & I don't want to run ATF in it so would this be okay? ?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430448069.212222.jpg it's pennzoil 10w-40 non synthetic, here's an aweful picture ?

Why exactly would you want to pour in crap that is well known to cause clutch problems (energy-conserving car engine oil) in favor of ATF which has been proven time and again to work perfectly?

• Like 2

Okay so yeah I know here we go...another oil thread. Well I'm about to change the old dirty oil in this 87 kx250 & I don't want to run ATF in it so would this be okay? ?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430448069.212222.jpg it's pennzoil 10w-40 non synthetic, here's an aweful picture ?

If you are dead set against ATF for some reason then use Rotella T. It is cheap, proven over and over, available nearly everywhere, and meets all certifications required. Do a search on TT. The majority of people recommend 1 of three things: ATF, Rotella, or motorcycle specific oil. Everybody has their reasons for picking which 1 they prefer. Nobody has any first hand experience of oil related failures with those three choices.  The same cannot be said for typical car oil. Many examples of people having clutch problems when using them. You might not. Is it really worth saving 4 bucks to use some oil you found laying in the corner of your dads shop? By the way, if you do have problems a new clutch will cost nearly what you paid for the bike if not more.

• Like 1

I don't see the argument against ATF, you *might* be fine with that, I know a lot of jaso-ma qualified oils don't bother to get the certification; if it's so important to you to learn about the oils your considering i would ask chokey. Easily the most knowledgeable about oils on the site

• Like 1

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jalos.or.jp%2Fonfile%2Fpdf%2F4T_EV1105.pdf&rct=j&q=jaso%20manual&ei=QYBDVcGXDoi8ggSZsIC4BQ&usg=AFQjCNFOtB2UhxPqNswVAbz5W0bwiPAEvg

Check out page 8, table 3. It lists the api ratings that can be substituted for jaso rating. Pay attention to the notes on the sm and sn rated oils.

Check the API service rating donut on the back of bottle. Almost all SAE 10W-40 like the Pennzoil shown in the picture are NOT resource/energy conserving so they do not contain additives that will cause your clutch to slip. 

Edited by shrubitup