Sign in to follow this  

Leaky carb fixed with teflon tape

So after finally putting my bike bad together and cleaning the carb I noticed it leaked out of the casing and dripped, I tightened the screws but it slightly leaked, so I took it all apart and the o ring around the carb wasn't sticking up much causing almost nothing to seal it so I took teflon tape and rolled it up into a line and put it under where the o ring seats to make it stick up higher to seal better, I put it back together and no more leaks, my question is will it deteriorate

• Like 1

So after finally putting my bike bad together and cleaning the carb I noticed it leaked out of the casing and dripped, I tightened the screws but it slightly leaked, so I took it all apart and the o ring around the carb wasn't sticking up much causing almost nothing to seal it so I took teflon tape and rolled it up into a line and put it under where the o ring seats to make it stick up higher to seal better, I put it back together and no more leaks, my question is will it deteriorate

I have heard gasoline will break down teflon tape , better take it out of there and just replace the o-ring

Yes, it will break down and cause problems. Now is the time to order up a new bowl gasket.

• Like 1

They make teflon tape that is designed for gas.  It is yellow and much thicker.  If that isn't what you used then it will deteriorate sooner or later.

I've got a after market kehin or what ever it's called carb on it, I rode it hard all day today and it still had no leakys

Little threads of Teflon tape are coming off inside  your carb as we speak.  They may not do any damage, but there is a chance that one little blob will partially clog a jet and cause your engine to blow up from running lean.  Other than that no problem.  Well, maybe except for a big fire when it starts leaking again.  Do you live in Baltimore by chance?

Edited by Still Bill
  • Like 1

No I live in nj, I am trying to take apart the carb but this one Allen head is striped to a circle so I am trying to use a saw to make it into a flat head but damn it's hard

No I live in nj, I am trying to take apart the carb but this one Allen head is striped to a circle so I am trying to use a saw to make it into a flat head but damn it's hard

Use vice grips, works wonders on striped carb hardware.