Sign in to follow this  

Changing a head gasket on a XR 600 1985 model

Hi Guys

Do you have to remove the whole engine to change a head gasket on the XR 600 1985 model or is there a secret to removing rocker cover to gain access to head bolts..its got me stumped..

Regards

Kev

I`ve heard you can pull the engine mounts and the motor will drop enough to wiggle it out...but most people remove the engine..

It`s easily removed on the XR650L without pulling the engine or mounts..

B

On the 81/82 XR500 you can loosen the rear motor mount bolts, and pull the bolts from the front motor mounts and the engine will rock forward and down just enough to get the valve cover off.  I do not know if you can get the whole head to clear though.  I would imagine it would be very difficult to remove the nuts from under the cooling fins though to get the head detatched from the cylinder.

I`ve heard you can pull the engine mounts and the motor will drop enough to wiggle it out...but most people remove the engine..

It`s easily removed on the XR650L without pulling the engine or mounts..

B

This is correct. You can remove all the mounts except the one that is furthest back (down by the swing arm), pull the header and rotate the motor forward and down. This will provide just enough room to get the head cover off. I believe I seperated the carbs from the intake boot last time I did this but i'm not 100% sure, I may have pulled the carbs entirely.

I recommend just pulling the motor, it only takes about 40 minutes and you wont scratch up your head cover and frame trying to get the head cover off. It is also much easier to clean the gasket mating surfaces with the engine out of the frame.

If you have been able to do this on an 85-87 xr600r I would like to see pics or a video of how you did it.

my bad,just checked the question,didn't think about the year

my bad,just checked the question,didn't think about the year

Aw, man! I was hoping you actually had solved the rubix cube and figured out a way to do this! ;):lol: It's crazy because rocking the engine forward only gains a few mm but it's just enough to get the cover off. It sure would be nice to not have to pull the engine just to get inside.