Sign in to follow this  

Do you put your hands down when you take a fall in the dirt?

I took a very low speed, slow motion fall while fooling around in my son's BMX, put my hands down and hurt my wrists.

Nothing serious but made me wonder, is there a proper way to hit the dirt when you have a choice?

You got to ride it all the way into the crash. :-)

• Like 2

I took a very low speed, slow motion fall while fooling around in my son's BMX, put my hands down and hurt my wrists.

Nothing serious but made me wonder, is there a proper way to hit the dirt when you have a choice?

I guess it's instinct to put your hands out to brace your fall...ideally I believe it's best to utilize arm and body armor to absorb the impact.....

but hey that's often not an option as shit can happen so quickly and there are many variables ....

• Like 1

I think it depends more on how you fell before it comes to what you do... But being in martial arts for 10 years you learn how to properly fall without being injured and it works in mx believe me hahaha but if I go down the proper way is to put 1 hand out and land on the side of your hand and absorb the fall by rolling along the length of your arm and onto your back and the momentum will put you back up onto you feet or you'll slide on your back (which is ok if you got a chest protector) but that's how I learned it and it's always always always worked for me

Edited by Emkjr93

Today when I flopped the bike over your post made me think of not putting my hands out... It would have been a long walk if I couldn't ride..... so what I did when I flopped over I stuck my elbow out... You all think that's any better?? Don't have elbow pads but do have knee pads.

Today when I flopped the bike over your post made me think of not putting my hands out... It would have been a long walk if I couldn't ride..... so what I did when I flopped over I stuck my elbow out... You all think that's any better?? Don't have elbow pads but do have knee pads.

No not without armor......lucky you didn't get any serious injury,,?

Edited by Craigo
  • Like 1

Never use only your elbow. you can either break it or your collar bone or something else... Use your entire arm when trying to soak up a fall. Use the entire length of your arm and keep your momentum rolling until you either get thrown back on to your feet or slide on your back. I'm sure you'd rather have some scrapes on your back than a broken wrist or anything like that
  • Like 1

No not without armor......lucky you didn't get any serious injury,,?

Never use only your elbow. you can either break it or your collar bone or something else... Use your entire arm when trying to soak up a fall. Use the entire length of your arm and keep your momentum rolling until you either get thrown back on to your feet or slide on your back. I'm sure you'd rather have some scrapes on your back than a broken wrist or anything like that

I didn't know the ride would be that bad but it was muddy out... I lost it on mud... I will be getting me some elbow pads tho now!! I had the rest of my gear on to knee chest and back protector...

I too am a relatively new rider, and therefor crash a lot, especially for an old man.   I usually hold on to the bar when I go down because I have great hand guards (HDB), and I don't know any better.  That does not guarantee no wrist injury because the bars can snap back very quickly, as my sore left wrist will testify.  I have wondered if skate board wrist protectors would help?  

Good helmet, body armor, motocross boots, and gloves are essential. The gear probably prevented a broken leg and or collar bone in a hard fall on Slickrock Utah three weeks ago. I am almost done limping from the bruising.  AGATT.

• Like 1

Last time I went down I just tried to stay loose. Trying to catch your self or prefect yourself is not possible and only leads to injury. I took it on the side of my leg hip and then the elbo. Had I stuck my arm out It would have been In a cast. Idk what the 100% best thing to do is. But there for sure is one. In skate boarding and inline scatting they always seem to drop to there knees and slide. In bmx same thing with a lot of on the side also. Snowboarding I would always try to keep the board up and slide on my belly if possible to keep the board from digging in and destroying my knees. In moto gp it seems like they get onto there back and ride it out

Edited by quick221680
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the input, I guess trying to slide/roll/glide or whatever keeps you from coming to a sudden stop is the best technique along with protective gear. My jacket has elbow, shoulder and back protection plus I'm thinking of getting a MX chest protector.

• Like 2