Stock XR suspension

Thanks! So I just rode the VCGP over the weekend. What a blast! But! I had a couple close calls. A few to many heel clickers. Lol! Yah know?? When you get shot up off the seat, both hands still gripped to the handlebars, high enough to click your heels together above the seat. Well anyway. To many rocks too but my question is. Is their a simple adjustment to my rear suspension? Or do I need to upgrade? Thanks!

clutch dump?

Yes if I want to wheelie something like imagine something between a curb and a log. Or any size rock between.

If I'm going to hit that it's going to be rear wheel only.

If I'm coming into a corner or about to start a downhill section and I don't want a huge speed gain I'll slip the clutch/give it some gas simeltaniousy and dump the clutch it brings the front wheel off in short order the rear wheel hits the obstacle and it sends you into the air as soon as you level off you can let off the throttle.

If it's a sharp edge I'll do it on anything less than skid plate height.

I learned it from my friend who rides trials.

Edited by EnglertRacing

Thanks! So I just rode the VCGP over the weekend. What a blast! But! I had a couple close calls. A few to many heel clickers. Lol! Yah know?? When you get shot up off the seat, both hands still gripped to the handlebars, high enough to click your heels together above the seat. Well anyway. To many rocks too but my question is. Is their a simple adjustment to my rear suspension? Or do I need to upgrade? Thanks!

Slowing your rebound may help, but given your symptoms I'd say either you have either hit the edge of your xr's stock prowess or its a technique issue.

Missed that by not connecting the user name suffix 428 with a XR400.

My experience is with XR250R and the fast rising rate of the linkage makes them hard to set up compared to MX bikes. The 96-04 XR250R shock was a big improvement over earlier versions but I don't know the history of the XR400s other than they run the Showa 44 shock compared to the 96-04 XR250R KYB 44 shock.

I have empathy for the OP as I've found the rear of my CRF250X much easier to setup than any of my XRs.

Thanks Wonderspoon and Chuck! Just the kind of input I am hoping for. Thanks again!

I have an 02 XR400R. I want to upgrade my XC racing experience. Especially at 46. Although their are a lot of dudes out there racing my age group. For sure. So the real question is do I spend the money upgrading the XRs suspension or look at another option?