North Idaho/NE WA BEGINNER'S loop

Idaho

Going riding this weekend with my buddy who is brand new to bikes and wanting to hit some mellow single track to help him start building some skills.  I'm in Newport, WA and he's in Athol, ID so Canfield was the first thing that came to mind but of the few times I've been there I was with guys who know the trails really well so I don't have a good handle on which trails are beginner friendly and which aren't.  I have another friend who does know the trails that might be able to come out with us but just in case his plans fall through I'm looking for some more input. 

When I say my buddy is brand new I mean just that, he bought a 2013 YZ450 this year (GREAT first bike to learn on, right? :goofy: ) and he's never been on single track.  He's ridden the roads near his house a few times and in those few rides managed to rap his knee just right and leave a nice big hole in it :facepalm:  so I'm really hoping to break him in easy and not scare the daylights out of him... yet. :devil:

Going riding this weekend with my buddy who is brand new to bikes and wanting to hit some mellow single track to help him start building some skills.  I'm in Newport, WA and he's in Athol, ID so Canfield was the first thing that came to mind but of the few times I've been there I was with guys who know the trails really well so I don't have a good handle on which trails are beginner friendly and which aren't.  I have another friend who does know the trails that might be able to come out with us but just in case his plans fall through I'm looking for some more input. 

When I say my buddy is brand new I mean just that, he bought a 2013 YZ450 this year (GREAT first bike to learn on, right? :goofy: ) and he's never been on single track.  He's ridden the roads near his house a few times and in those few rides managed to rap his knee just right and leave a nice big hole in it :facepalm:  so I'm really hoping to break him in easy and not scare the daylights out of him... yet. :devil:

This is how I start noobs on Canfield. I start them on FS road 1562 out of the Nettleton Gulch parking lot and take them up to Canfield Butte (experienced riders will be bored). After that, I take them on trail B, then loop back on A. Depending how they do and how late it is, then I take them on some of the easier single track (parts of Trail 8 & 9) and finish off the ride down Cave Trail (Trail 4). As a general rule, lettered trails are easier than the numbered trails.