Sign in to follow this  

Hooking up to a trailer

So I don't need help with pulling it backing a trailer but I was curious to people's tips and tricks to backing up to a trailer to hook it up. I have an enclosed that I can't just push around to get it positioned right. I'm normally hooking it up by myself so it's kind of trail and error. So it's back up normally get pretty close then get back in vehicle and go at it again. Then repeat if necessary. Is this the same thing everyone does or you all have any tricks. I'm not looking at buying a backup camera that money could go to moto parts. Thanks for the input

There is a tool for this, you can buy one or make one. It is basically 2 poles with tennis balls on top of them, one for the receiver, one for the trailer. Put them on, line them up while backing and "whalla" you are done.

• Like 1

I look out the mirror and sight down the side or the truck to a specific spot on the trailer and when in lines up I'm good Or through the back window and sight with tail gate. Once you learn a specific trailer it's quick and easy one man job.having the wife help only make things worse

• Like 7

I line up the center of the tailgate with the center of the trailer. It took a while to learn it, but I can get the left and right within an inch.

I back up until I hit the trailer with the hitch, then roll foreword about 4". Hit it slowly obviously. I can usually get it to slide down first time.

It took a while to get this down perfect.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the comments. I thought I saw a flag type system but I don't want to fool with that. Most of the time I can get it the second time or so but for some reason every now and then it takes me like 5 times. On those days kind of picture the Austin powers scene where he's stuck in the hallway with his car. Lol

I do the roll back method till I bump it but just getting a feeler on what everyone else did. Thanks again

Unfortunately, if you don't want to do the flag method, there's no choice but to jump in and out a few times when by yourself.

All of the fancy new trucks have a camera and it makes trailer hookup fun. You can get an aftermarket one for your truck. Camera mounts to the tag bracket.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the comments. I thought I saw a flag type system but I don't want to fool with that. Most of the time I can get it the second time or so but for some reason every now and then it takes me like 5 times. On those days kind of picture the Austin powers scene where he's stuck in the hallway with his car. Lol

I do the roll back method till I bump it but just getting a feeler on what everyone else did. Thanks again

The tennis ball thing is magnetic, you just stick it on the hitch near the ball and on the top of the trailer coupler. It's not a permanent mounted item.

I just get used to where the trailer is in relation to the truck while pulling it and back the truck until it looks the same in the mirrors when hooking up. Most of the time it's a one shot deal. I also try to leave the trailer just low enough I can feel it bump over the ball.

Camera. :prof:

Wireless kits work okay, wired is better though.  Had a cheap wireless system on my last truck....
DSC08918-L.jpg

DSC08909-L.jpg

Now I've got a wired camera on my hitch:
IMG_20141130_130116615-L.jpg

and on the 2nd video input, a wireless camera behind my trailer:
IMG_20141130_130121278-L.jpg

• Like 1

Next time it is hooked up look for some reference points between your pickup and trailer. Then with practice you should get pretty good at it and get real close without getting in and out a bunch.

I look out the mirror and sight down the side or the truck to a specific spot on the trailer and when in lines up I'm good Or through the back window and sight with tail gate. Once you learn a specific trailer it's quick and easy one man job.having the wife help only make things worse

W ell said... having the wife help certainly makes things worse.!  :banghead:  :facepalm: 

If you've got a standard transmission, and are most likely on level ground, here's what I do:

I do as mentioned above including getting out a few times after lining it up as close as possible and also learning the truck/trailer through the rear view mirror.

Then when I'm really close [even after the slow 'bump' mentioned above], I get out after putting the truck in neutral, and if lined up right, just grab the tail gate & push or pull the truck a few inches with one hand until the ball's under the trailer tongue.

If you've got a standard transmission, and are most likely on level ground, here's what I do:

I do as mentioned above including getting out a few times after lining it up as close as possible and also learning the truck/trailer through the rear view mirror.

Then when I'm really close [even after the slow 'bump' mentioned above], I get out after putting the truck in neutral, and if lined up right, just grab the tail gate & push or pull the truck a few inches with one hand until the ball's under the trailer tongue.

That's not a bad idea. Since I'm used to having a light, 500lbs tare, trailer, I never thought about it but moving the truck back an inch or the trailer forward, the truck probably rolls easier because it'll have larger diameter tires and hasn't been sitting in the exact same spot for possibly months on putting a small flat spot on the tires and a divot in the grass.

sitting in the exact same spot for possibly months on putting a small flat spot on the tires and a divot in the grass.

Never, never, never put tires in the grass for extended periods of time. It ruins the tires way faster. Place a  small 2x4 under the wheels when your leaving it in the grass.

Never, never, never put tires in the grass for extended periods of time. It ruins the tires way faster. Place a  small 2x4 under the wheels when your leaving it in the grass.

You know it's true, you may be the one in a dozen who uses puts the trailer tires on blocks, but most don't. Mine's on a concrete pad that I think used to be a garage, but most people park 'em on the dirt. Sunlight also rots the tires, few people use covers outside of the RV crowd.