Who actually did their first service/Valve check?

Alright I admit, I hate giving people money for no reason, so who actually did their first factory service at 600miles? Did the valves need adjusting at all? I just don't want to piss away money if the bike is going to be fine as I already did my first oil change. Necessary or not?

• Like 1

If it's eating at you than check them. If you want to be lazy like me and check them at 12,000 miles then do that. It's your bike you do what ever you feel like doing. I didn't do my first oil change till I had 1,300 miles cuz I was lazy. But the bike has over 20,000 miles and still going strong

• Like 2

I did not have mine checked either or did a first service for that matter but, I did have a 305 Big Bore kit installed at 1200 miles and my valves were still in spec. 

If you have suspicions that something is wrong have them checked but, if all feels fine which I am sure it does ... just save your money for upgrades ....  ?

• Like 1

What are the symptoms of valves "just" out of spec or "really need to be adjusted" out of spec? I've got 3200 miles (never had them checked) and all SEEMS good to me, but I don't know what to feel or hear or otherwise sense. Maybe $100 is cheap piece of mind?

What are the symptoms of valves "just" out of spec or "really need to be adjusted" out of spec? I've got 3200 miles (never had them checked) and all SEEMS good to me, but I don't know what to feel or hear or otherwise sense. Maybe $100 is cheap piece of mind?

The manual says to check them every 16,000 miles. 

I feel as tho the first service just gives the manufacturer a chance to catch something before it costs them in warranty repairs and get you to pay for it .... ?

• Like 2

I suppose it's time to buy the manual. One of my daughter's friends is a motorcycle mechanic, so I'll get him to check the bike over from stem to stern, or better yet advise and supervise me while I do it!

Maybe $100 is cheap piece of mind?

That was my line of thinking exactly.

Also, I upgraded the stock exhaust system to FMF, added the EJK, and switched to a 13T sprocket (all within the first 300 miles), and I just wanted to know everything was fine. I think my dealer felt bad about having charged me and not having to do anything, so he gave me a little break when I had him swap out my stock tires for the new ones. ?  ?   

• Like 1

I suppose it's time to buy the manual. One of my daughter's friends is a motorcycle mechanic, so I'll get him to check the bike over from stem to stern, or better yet advise and supervise me while I do it!

I bought the service manual and also use the PDF file too ......... feel free to download and save to phone or PC ... ?

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf

• Like 2

I bought the service manual and also use the PDF file too ......... feel free to download and save to phone or PC ... ?

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf

Thanks for the manual PDF link, I've been meaning to download it to my iPad (just did it). Where to buy paper manual online? I remember finding it once, if you have the link handy I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll find it later, gotta go do some yard work now

• Like 1

I did them myself at the end of the riding season at 2000 miles.

Intake was .14mm and exhaust was .24mm.

Factory Valve Specs.

Intake valve clearance: 0.16 +/- 0.03 mm
Exhaust valve clearance: 0.27 +/- 0.03 mm

Edited by oldguy68

Thanks for the manual PDF link, I've been meaning to download it to my iPad (just did it). Where to buy paper manual online? I remember finding it once, if you have the link handy I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll find it later, gotta go do some yard work now

select the right one from the drop down menu .... 

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_292/products_id/3226

honda-crf-service-manual-1.jpg

• Like 1

I checked the Helm website and the new version that covers 2013-2015 isn't available yet and the prior version 2013-2014 is "superseded". They took my info and will contact me when available. I'll call crfsonly and see if they have one in stock. Thanks again!

I checked the Helm website and the new version that covers 2013-2015 isn't available yet and the prior version 2013-2014 is "superseded". They took my info and will contact me when available. I'll call crfsonly and see if they have one in stock. Thanks again!

Ken is quick to respond to emails .............. ken@crfsonly.com

I checked mine personally at 600 miles because it would have gnawed at me and I can't stand to let someone else work on my stuff.  They were within spec, I think .002" under on exh. and .001" on intake.

The more worrying event for me was when I removed the clutch side cover for an unrelated job and found bits of silicone on the oil pump pickup screen.  I had previously noted the slightly sloppy job done with applying sealant when I pulled the valve cover to do the valve check.