Changing rear sprocket; have a couple of questions

I am heading out on the TAT this June and I have a 47 sprocket I want to run. My chain has about 3500 miles on it. It's the original; I bought the bike with 2500 road miles on it.

My question is will it be ok to use this chain on the new rear sprocket? All of the original sprockets look sound; there is no hooking on the teeth.

Thanks folks

You guys have been a big help over the last months.

Cheers

B

I am heading out on the TAT this June and I have a 47 sprocket I want to run. My chain has about 3500 miles on it. It's the original; I bought the bike with 2500 road miles on it.

My question is will it be ok to use this chain on the new rear sprocket? All of the original sprockets look sound; there is no hooking on the teeth.

Thanks folks

You guys have been a big help over the last months.

Cheers

B

I believe the stock chain will be too short for that 47 tooth sprocket.

A little heat will soften the thread locking compound on the bolts, and I have found it easier to loosen the bolts while the wheel is still on the bike.

Use a 6 point socket with the bevel ground off, and a wobble extension to reach thru the disc/spokes to hold the nuts;

Like this:

DSC01892_zpsee6873de.jpg

?

• Like 2

you can easily break loose the 10mm or 12mm nut IF the bike is on the ground.. i use a wrench 

i do that way everytime..

last time i tried to loosen the hex side. iwas snapping L hex's and socket hex's

Edited by 707LAKE

That size chain should work though as the E is 15/47 and S is 15/44 and they run the same length chain I do believe! But if you are doing a tough ride or going somewhere where it will be hard to get the bike to a vehicle I would change the chain out! 70 bucks is a small price to pay compared to breaking your chain in a remote hard to access area and being up sh#t creek without a paddle!

Ok,so I will replace the chain with the sprocket, I'm running the original counter shaft sprocket and it looks brand new. Is it ok to run that with the set up? Also since I'm getting a new chain, what would be a good length ( links) to fit the 15/47 ratio.

Thanks for the insight.

B

if the teeth arnt leaning on the cs sprocket chances are the chain isnt stretched to speak of and would be fine with a new rear .. fitment would be the only thing and you'll likely need a longer chain unless you go 14 on the front .. so, if youre putting on a new chain and new rear sprocket might as well get a matching front, its not a big deal thats the 'cheap' end lol .. just get a helper to stand on the brake pedal to work the cs nut .. links- buy the chain long like 120 and get a chain breaker, my experience has been that its actually variable depending on the wear level and individual bike, just mock it up and bust it in the ideal spot, you may be able to make it work with multiple setups so consider everything and mock it all up before you do the deed ....

Edited by cowpie

Stock E gearing is 14/47.  S is 15/44.  I'm running 15/46 I think the chain is 112 pins but not sure I just buy 120 and cut to fit.  I keep spare chains on hand and use for various applications so buying 120 makes sense for me, some motorcycles take up to 118.  3500 miles can wear out a chain or it might be like new, depends on a lot of things.  Depending on how you plan to do the TAT ride you will put on 5000 miles, maybe 8K to 9K if you ride both ways.  For that I would want to start with a new chain. Keep the old one and use it later on.  How many on the TAT ride? How many DRZs? If you have several DRZs in the group, think about carrying a spare stator.

• Like 1

I'll be riding from the start to the CO/UT border and then riding back via 2 lane to north Georgia. I'm thinking the total trip will be about 6,00 miles. So I probably should get a new chain.

Thanks folks

• Like 1