Buying A DRZ

I am considering buying a 2007 DRZ 400S with about 9,000 street miles that is really clean....during a short test ride, I noticed the throttle response was not crisp off idle and first gear seemed a little high....my question is ...at this many miles are there things that need to be addressed with the DRZ beyond normal maintenance?  As far as I can tell, its bone stock except for the silencer has been removed from the muffler tip and its pretty loud...can you buy a replacement silencer rather than replacing the can?  Any ideas on how to maximize the  low end on this motor?  My plan for this motorcycle is mainly dual sporting on forest service roads and some single track...not really interested in street manners....thoughts?

Thanks for your time....

I am considering buying a 2007 DRZ 400S with about 9,000 street miles that is really clean....during a short test ride, I noticed the throttle response was not crisp off idle could be a function of the stock jetting, most do the 3x3 mod and James Dean jet kit to fix this and first gear seemed a little high.stock gearing on the S is 15/44 and is geared for the street, I've got 14/44 on my street wheels...my question is ...at this many miles are there things that need to be addressed with the DRZ beyond normal maintenance?  Check the "Loctite fixes" in the FAQ link I gave you As far as I can tell, its bone stock except for the silencer has been removed from the muffler tip and its pretty loud...can you buy a replacement silencer rather than replacing the can?not sure but being removed it may be adding to the throttle response issue if you haven't done any jetting changes from stock  Any ideas on how to maximize the  low end on this motor? FCR-MX, big bore kit, and maybe a pipe, these engines like to rev and I would concentrate on mid range power more than low end My plan for this motorcycle is mainly dual sporting on forest service roads and some single track...not really interested in street manners....thoughts? The DRZ is a perfect bike for this. 

Unasked question?  Yes.  Getting the suspension sorted is the first thing you should do.

Thanks for your time....

Edited by npm

Thanks NPM....this will be a huge help.....

Thanks NPM....this will be a huge help.....

Those are some great answers. The DRZ brotherhood at your service! Welcome to the club!

Picked up my DRZ 400 S today..2007.and am in the process of taking it apart to install new tires etc.....totally original including tires, chain sprockets etc.....except for one thing...the previous owner removed the silencer from the end of the muffler...the chrome tip is still there but the core/silencer has been removed...is there a chance that someone may have one of these or maybe an entire muffler?   The dealer tells me that 2005 through 2015 the mufflers are the same but I m not about to buy a new one...any suggestions?

Thanks for you time.....will post some pics when I get it put back together....

Tad louder, won't hurt anything.

Actually its quite a bit louder than stock....and, in my opinion, not in a good way....I would like to have the stock sound or if I cant figure out a way to accomplish that then maybe an after market.... but I'm not crazy about how it sounds now...

Actually its quite a bit louder than stock....and, in my opinion, not in a good way....I would like to have the stock sound or if I cant figure out a way to accomplish that then maybe an after market.... but I'm not crazy about how it sounds now...

I have seen stock cans in good condition on Craigs list for $50-75. Cans with header for around 100.

Save up for a complete system with spark arrestor for off road use.

Thanks Pumptrack....does anyone here have a stock muffler (2005-2015) in good condition for sale?