Sign in to follow this  

Bike stalls out when I stand on foot pegs

I bought the bike used, it came with a two bros exhaust.

I have done the 3X3 mod with the JD jets.

What would cause it to stutter and stall out while I am standing on the foot pegs going through trails?  Is there some sort of pressure switch or flip over switch under the seat that could be affected by me sitting or standing?

No pressure switches or anything. Are you bumping the kickstand switch with your foot when you stand maybe? Or maybe you don't have proper throttle/clutch control when you stand. If it runs perfectly sitting down but Not when you stand it's probly you.

I bought the bike used, it came with a two bros exhaust.

I have done the 3X3 mod with the JD jets.

What would cause it to stutter and stall out while I am standing on the foot pegs going through trails?  Is there some sort of pressure switch or flip over switch under the seat that could be affected by me sitting or standing?

Im thinking when you stand up, you let off the throttle a little bit. When I stand I sometimes have an issue with throttle control.

• Like 1

The most likely thing happening is your heel pushing down the sidestand ever so slightly causing the sidestand interlock switch to momentarily disable the ignition causing a noticeable studder or even a stall if pushed down long enough.I had the same problem early on.

Most here do the sidestand switch by-pass mod to cure the problem.It's in the FAQ Forum at the top of the page.

• Like 2

The most likely thing happening is your heel pushing down the sidestand ever so slightly causing the sidestand interlock switch to momentarily disable the ignition causing a noticeable studder or even a stall if pushed down long enough.I had the same problem early on.

Most here do the sidestand switch by-pass mod to cure the problem.It's in the FAQ Forum at the top of the page.

+1 would be willing to bet it's the kickstand switch.

I thought maybe it was me as well. So I tried standing up and watch my throttle control, dam thing almost threw me over the handles bars...lol

It is definitely not the throttle control. I will look at the kickstand switch.

Thanks for all the help.

this problem happend to me on PERFECT SMOOTH STREET roads( so it was not the side stand + its removed)

upon standing up it would jerk n cut out..feels like im losing gas

..it tended to happen when throttle is under 20% so i just practiced n got smooother and it went away..just diff throttle position/control i had to get used to

i got a bad right wrist tho, i dislocated all 4 of my metacarpels(long bones connecting knuckles to wrist) few years back,, lol dnt ever punch a quarter panel truck window

206929_191416254234994_5124184_n_zpsdvf1

Ouch!

The spring on the kick stand is not tight at all really sloppy, but I will also pay attention to throttle control...thanks agian

Ouch!

The spring on the kick stand is not tight at all really sloppy, but I will also pay attention to throttle control...thanks agian

Replace the worn spring and disable the kickstand switch and you should be go to go.

• Like 1

The only time the throttle comes into play when standing on the pegs is when the bike isn't jetted right.Especially the pilot circuit where you find the engine "hunting" under steady throttle unable to maintain a given speed.I could see that as a serious safety issue.

The only time the throttle comes into play when standing on the pegs is when the bike isn't jetted right.Especially the pilot circuit where you find the engine "hunting" under steady throttle unable to maintain a given speed.I could see that as a serious safety issue.

Is there any way to identify this at any other time? The bike runs great at all other times, just that one issue and I am sure it's the kickstand switch..

Yes.Backprobe it's connector located under the seat.It's the only green one,(follow the wire up from the sidestand).jumper the terminals with a small paper clip or similar stiff wire and take a test ride to see if it does it.If not,then you've found the cause.Then go ahead and perform the by-pass.

I'm having the same issue and for me it is definitely the clown shoes hitting the spring hanger on the side stand. Will be disabling the switch today.

I thought maybe it was me as well. So I tried standing up and watch my throttle control, dam thing almost threw me over the handles bars...lol

It is definitely not the throttle control. I will look at the kickstand switch.

Thanks for all the help.

Defiantly the kick stand switch. Had to dump mine for the same reason

• Like 1

Same here... removed the kick-stand switch... no problems anymore.

:thumbsup:

Edited by stevius

Just be aware that you can ride away with the sidestand down if you disable the switch....and I do this often, resulting in a solid bumping motion when the stand digs into the ground and the bike pole-vaults over it....to remind me of my stupidity.

This is just a little like the vacuum petcock...I ride off with the tap off on my manual petcock just often enough ......

Yes.Backprobe it's connector located under the seat.It's the only green one,(follow the wire up from the sidestand).jumper the terminals with a small paper clip or similar stiff wire and take a test ride to see if it does it.If not,then you've found the cause.Then go ahead and perform the by-pass.

So in order to not cut any wires and save the connectors, can I take a wire big enough to fill the connector and tape/seal it there?

Yes.You could also get one of these to make it real easy.Then you can remove the sidestand switch from the bike altogether and put it in storage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-400-E-S-SM-all-models-Side-Stand-Switch-Eliminator-Bypass-kit-/261058816713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc8516ac9#ht_1533wt_664

Edited by bumtarder

Yes.You could also get one of these to make it real easy.Then you can remove the sidestand switch from the bike altogether and put it in storage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-400-E-S-SM-all-models-Side-Stand-Switch-Eliminator-Bypass-kit-/261058816713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc8516ac9#ht_1533wt_664

That's much better than rigging it, I just can't believe they are not stateside. Thanks