XR650L Exhaust (Just to loss the weight)

I want to loss the BRP big exhaust.......... BUT not get loud (I like the quiet idea) I had a Super Trapp on my old TT500 and I know you can add/remove disc, so this is where I am going and hope someone can help..........

I want a lighter exhaust slip on that is quiet and still would like not to rejet the carb (I know everyone wants to JET IT MAN!) mine is stock jetting and is really not too lean (I know they all are on the lean side from the factory) but the spark plug looks pretty good for being factory.

If a simple slip on that will keep the same back pressure/flow. Would that not keep things in the factory "jet setting"????

For example: A Super Trapp with 8 disc's = Stock exhaust Backpressure/Flow.....?????.

I simply want to loss the weight and keep out of the carb if possible, a little louder would be acceptable ? anyone know or try this application? Thanks in advance for any experianced input!!

Ride On!

there is a thread on ADVrider  where they weighed some aftermarket slip-ons and found the weight saving to be very little,,believe it or not..so if you are after saving weight,,don`t bother...

B.

I never would have though as such looking at the BRP's pipe.................. If thats the case I guess it stays.

Thanks for the reply B.

There can be a weight savings,,depending on the pipe you buy,,,,,,but not enough to warrant the price.if you just want to lose weight...think ounces,,not pounds,,,,and the lighter they get,,the noisier they have to be..

I have the FMF Q2.i had the original Q pipe too..loved it,,not really much lighter,,but i find the OE muffler sounds like a fart whistle,,the FMF makes the bike sound like a real big bore thumper...the Q4 is really not that loud..it does sound sweet if you don`t mind a little more deeper noise...

B

DG has a nice pipe that save you all of 2lbs, well great sounding anyway.

Easy install as well!

Don't think there is ANYWAY to save weight on the BRP, good thing it has 650cc...

Check DG Performance out!

It's been hashed over again and again. Some factory mufflers are ridiculously heavy, but not the XR650L muffler. I typically reference the DR650 muffler as a heavyweight, but I should mention that it is stainless steel, as is the rest of the factory exhaust and it will last much longer than other stock or aftermarket mufflers. Going from a basically non maintenance muffler to one that needs maintenance is a trade-off that should be considered.

The stock XR650L muffler  VS Supertrapp IDS2 with quietcore:

0426151719.jpg

0426151717a.jpg

Details:

Stock muffler minus baffle and header clamp. Supertrapp, has everything there (all screws and midpipe on backside of scale) except header clamp.

I see, the scale tells no lies......some slip-ons do sound good without being too loud but back to which one is equal to the stocks backpressure/flow so rejetting would not be required is the obective question at this point. 

I searched and could not find that info anywhere (so far)...........maybe the FMF guys would know???? I am really interested in find one that would work............... Thanks for your input Onedere.

Edited by EarthCruzn

It's been hashed over again and again. Some factory mufflers are ridiculously heavy, but not the XR650L muffler. I typically reference the DR650 muffler as a heavyweight, but I should mention that it is stainless steel, as is the rest of the factory exhaust and it will last much longer than other stock or aftermarket mufflers. Going from a basically non maintenance muffler to one that needs maintenance is a trade-off that should be considered.

The stock XR650L muffler  VS Supertrapp IDS2 with quietcore:

0426151719.jpg

0426151717a.jpg

Details:

Stock muffler minus baffle and header clamp. Supertrapp, has everything there (all screws and midpipe on backside of scale) except header clamp.

Add more discs and it might even be heavier.  I had an old style one with 14 discs in it when I got it, the thing was a tank.

I wonder how the lighter/shorter XR600 muffler would compare weight wise.  They do sound nicer and probably add as much power as some aftermarket mufflers.

After 8 years, I finally purchased a replacement for the xr650L stock muffler, which I thought to be a bit heavy whenever I removed it for whatever reasons over the years.

I replaced it with a FMF Power Core IV, and when it showed up, I wasn't even sure there was something in the box, which seemed very very light.

I also asked if re-jetting was usually done with the slip-on FMF Power Core, and the answer was, "No - not usually".

So not necessary to re-jet but certainly optional.

Edited by jimXR650L

Add more discs and it might even be heavier.  I had an old style one with 14 discs in it when I got it, the thing was a tank.

I wonder how the lighter/shorter XR600 muffler would compare weight wise.  They do sound nicer and probably add as much power as some aftermarket mufflers.

It has all the discs it came with, which I think is 12. I took all the disk off and it didn't seem to make any difference in how it ran, which Supertrapp probably says 12 is the max, so it doesn't make any difference after that. I made sure to note it was the quiet core, which is heavier than the race core. The quiet core has actual baffling in it, it's not a straight-through core like the race core IDS2. Every other Supertrapp I've seen has a straight-through core. For reference, not all the IDS2 body lengths are the same, the version for the DR650 is longer than the version for the XR650L.

I believe there is a dyno chart online, done by an individual owner, that compares the stock exhaust (baffle or not?) to an aftermarket muffler. With a stock engine, there are a lot of mods that aren't necessary if power is the goal and even then, where the power if made in the operating range is going to determine how the bike performs for it's intended use.

A lot of people refer to stock mufflers sounding like a fart can, a fart in a can or a fart whistle. If anyone can provide a link to any of those actual sounds, I think the interweb would benefit. If the sound is accompanied by flame produced from said source, I'm sure it will be memeified and become part of internet lore.

After 8 years, I finally purchased a replacement for the xr650L stock muffler, which I thought to be a bit heavy whenever I removed it for whatever reasons over the years.

I replaced it with a FMF Power Core IV, and when it showed up, I wasn't even sure there was something in the box, which seemed very very light.

I also asked if re-jetting was usually done with the slip-on FMF Power Core, and the answer was, "No - not usually".

So not necessary to re-jet but certainly optional.

Jim, did you rejet yours??? If not how does the spark plug look..............do you like the change? If you did rejet do you remember the size(s). Thanks in advance!

Just put the DG on mine 2 weeks ago, no je-jetting and runs very well.

Love the new sound, some get the insert to quiet it a bit.

Don't really think I'm going to has a nice rich deep sound.

Only other non cosmetic mod is the IMS smog block off kit.

2012 XR650L

Jim, did you rejet yours??? If not how does the spark plug look..............do you like the change? If you did rejet do you remember the size(s). Thanks in advance!

Hi Earth - no I haven't got that far. I bought the FMF late last fall and it's actually still in the box.

I'm just about to dig everything out including the BRP and start working on it for this season.

I'm off to a late start this year.

Ok......... just got off the phone with FMF the (tech) recommendations were on the jetting "to go up one on each" I told him his spec sheet said "usually stock jetting will work on the Q4 in most cases"  this really made me turn my head because he did not even ask me where I lived ?  (elevation)?????? So here it is, I live in Florida "sea level" the stock jetting is (please correct me if I am wrong) 50 slow/pilot and 152 main, go 'up" one means 52 and 155...... but I read that others go with 55 and 158 but they don't mention their elevation. I reallyl could use some advice from some of you 'sea level guys" out there. :confused:

Ok......... just got off the phone with FMF the (tech) recommendations were on the jetting "to go up one on each" I told him his spec sheet said "usually stock jetting will work on the Q4 in most cases"  this really made me turn my head because he did not even ask me where I lived ?  (elevation)?????? So here it is, I live in Florida "sea level" the stock jetting is (please correct me if I am wrong) 50 slow/pilot and 152 main, go 'up" one means 52 and 155...... but I read that others go with 55 and 158 but they don't mention their elevation. I reallyl could use some advice from some of you 'sea level guys" out there. :confused:

Hey Earth. I forgot to mention that I'm not on stock jetting anymore and haven't been for years now.

I re-jetted long ago.

I did what many have done which is called the now infamous 'Dave's Mods'. Have you heard of these modifications?

I'm also at sea level. It's been a long time, but IIRC, I'm using 55.

But I can't remember if I'm using 155 or 158. I might have started with 155, but may have put in a 158 afterwards. But it's been so long now, I just can't remember.

But for the cost of the jets, which I seem to recall are only about $3-5 each, you could easily get a 155 & 158. That way you could try them both. Taking your carb out isn't very hard - just a bit of a PITA.

Edited by jimXR650L

Yes "Daves Mods" kinda funny one pipe manufactuer I was talking to said they supply a pilot, main and a "washer" for the needle, but his recommendation on the jets was way rich compared to advice here in TT. When I jetted and open up my 250X the JD jet kit I got for it along with the FMF came with exact jetting recommendations for the pipe (plus extra jets) and was spot on!

Something that he did mention that was interesting was that "carbs start leaking over time and get leaner" I think he was talking abut wear in the moving parts allowing air to past by ie. piston, butterfly shaft what may have you............. guess I better grease my carb????? (JUST KIDDING) thanks so much for the help here. I am on the fence here with this jetting thing, I know I can always change it but I was hoping it was easy as the X. 

Ride On! and keep the wheel side down.........

OK ............. I went with the FMF Q4, Uni Filter and FMF Power up jet kit.

Question though, when you guys did the mods did you just remove the snorkel or cut the air box? When I did the 250X it had a line drawn (pretty cool) where the 250R box cut out would be.

The jet kit I ordered has two ways to install it (I think) one is with stock air filter and the other is snorkel removal and  after market air filter.

I know to get the most of it I should go snorkel and Uni filter, but your suggestions are well appreciated and thanks again for all the help.

Ride On!