Sign in to follow this  

Airbox (DT-1 Air Flow Kit)

So when I got my 2nd KTM I noticed a lot of people talking about the air filter and cage design and how it is flimsy and can be installed the wrong way (Never thought twice about my practice bikes filter and cage stock setup on my 2013 ktm 250sx) but now on my 2015 KTM 250sx i decided to buy the DT-1 air flow kit, which is just a higher quality more heavy duty filter and a billet cage. I noticed the pins the line up the filter do not really stay in properly and the filter holes just allow them to slide off which for me seems to mess up the sealing surface with the airboot once pressure is applied. Anyone notice this? SHould i go back to my stock setup and get a more heavy duty air filter? very confused... you would think the DT-1 air flow kit pins would not be shaped line a cone to pretty much allow the filter to not properly sit in the cage. help!!!

I've never had a problem with the stock KTM cages on the 2011-2015 bikes.  I think that "issue" of the filter cage potentially being difficult to line up correctly if installed incorrectly is blown out of proportion.  That being said, I've been running the Twin Air Powerflow cage and filters since 2012 on both my 350 and 300.  The billet aluminum cage is less restrictive since there is less cage material to block airflow.

I've never had a problem with the stock KTM cages on the 2011-2015 bikes.  I think that "issue" of the filter cage potentially being difficult to line up correctly if installed incorrectly is blown out of proportion.  That being said, I've been running the Twin Air Powerflow cage and filters since 2012 on both my 350 and 300.  The billet aluminum cage is less restrictive since there is less cage material to block airflow.

Ya this DT-1 setup seems wierd, the filter itself seems too wide for the cage and so it doesnt have any tension or anything when putting it on and so the pins dont stay lined of or anything. Gonna order the No Toil air flow kit, cheaper, nylon (i never linked billet cages) and I can order 2 filters for a bit more than what 1 DT-1 costs. Win Win.

The stock cage has a raised lip on the bottom side that you're supposed to make sure goes inside the opening on the air box then you just kinda push it on and do up the latch. Then make sure there is a good deal all the way around with a rubber glove on.

I dont see any way a old DT 1 air box would even fit a ktm.