Mirrors On Dirt Bikes?

Why aren't there mirrors on dirt bikes?  It would make sense to have them since the bikes are soo damn loud that it's hard to hear who's coming up behind you.  Especially when you're out there racing, whether it be on the MX track or hare scrambles...... one would think it would make sense, no? 

I know that it can be dangerous and how hard it would be for mirrors to withstand the punishment of dirt bikes, but I'm not talking about your regular everyday mirrors..... I'm talking about making flexible adjustable mirrors that bends without braking.

And yes, I know about dual sports.

Edited by Cute2strokeBoy

I have not seen one on the market in a long time................ someone made a visor (we called it a duck bill n the old days) that had small mirrors on the underside (underside right and left edge) corners at the front edge of the visor (duck bill ? ) I owned a few and they do a fair job. I have heard the guy who made them made them for Steve McQueen at a personnal request. The only problem I ever had was when the sun was in just the right spot and you had to turn/lean your head to clean the sun out of your eyes.

Visor-Vu_front.jpg

Visor-Vu_back.jpg

steve%20visor.jpg

Here ya go, Ride On!

Edited by EarthCruzn
  • Like 3

If he is racing in a Hare Scamble and "see's" the rider behind him is not in his class he can "let him go". (woods get tight)

[i think he was thinking from experiance's.]

One the other note if you find are getting faster than your class.............. get a HORN "Beep, Beep"          It saves you from yelling "Let Me Go!"

Unless you're riding on way smoother terrain than I ever have (other than the street), I don't see how you're going to see anything in a mirror anyway. Maybe enough to tell that there's a bike back there, but that would be about the extent of it. Plus, they would last about as long as the proverbial "snowball in hell" running through the branches and vines around here. A quick head check in a corner is a far better and more reliable method of checking your six IMO..

I always made my dirt bikes street legal, except for tires, because it was so easy to do here. A brake light, horn, and mirror(fold down). Most riding buddies did the same. It's kinda surprising how useful all three can be.

• Like 1

If he is racing in a Hare Scamble and "see's" the rider behind him is not in his class he can "let him go". (woods get tight)

[i think he was thinking from experiance's.]

One the other note if you find are getting faster than your class.............. get a HORN "Beep, Beep"          It saves you from yelling "Let Me Go!"

If the guy is in a faster class, he'll get around him.  Many of the faster guys will have a sound effect they make to let them know they are behind you and about to pass. 

https://youtu.be/j5-TZpFghrc?t=590

• Like 1

I always made my dirt bikes street legal, except for tires, because it was so easy to do here. A brake light, horn, and mirror(fold down). Most riding buddies did the same. It's kinda surprising how useful all three can be.

My understanding is that in AMA racing horns are against the rules, not that anyone would disqualify you or using one.

• Like 2

I've thought about putting them on mine bc I ride with my dad and brother. We like to keep track of each other so looking into a small mirror on the handlebars would be a lot easier than turning around, especially if it would be dangerous to turn around at any specific moment.

• Like 1

I have one on my dual sport bike for 2 reasons - First, to see if there's a car coming up on me in those short trips on public roads.  Second, I use it to see if my riding buddies are still with me or if I have to back-track and pull them out of the underbrush.  On my MX bikes, I  have never used one and have never seen one used.  If you are really trying to see if or who is coming up behind you, you aren't paying attention to what is in front of you.  That = SLOWER

Why aren't there mirrors on dirt bikes? It would make sense to have them since the bikes are soo damn loud that it's hard to hear who's coming up behind you. Especially when you're out there racing, whether it be on the MX track or hare scrambles...... one would think it would make sense, no?

I know that it can be dangerous and how hard it would be for mirrors to withstand the punishment of dirt bikes, but I'm not talking about your regular everyday mirrors..... I'm talking about making flexible adjustable mirrors that bends without braking.

And yes, I know about dual sports.

Like this?

• Like 2