Sign in to follow this  

Thank you for a whole new CRF!

I purchased a 2015 CRF250L about 1 month ago, and thanks to everyone in this ThumperTalk forum and their knowledge, I have transformed the bike using the Stage 1 Mods and it is a whole new beast!

After seeing the robust community that surrounded this bike, and the host of easy mods that you people were doing, I didn't hesitate to purchase this bike over all the other dual sports I was looking at. 

I love taking the bike apart and working on it - Honda has done a great job making this bike so easy to disassemble and reassemble using just a hex wrench, phillips screwdriver, and a 10/12mm socket. 

Following along in this forum and doing my homework, here is what I have done so far:

1. I started with the Airbox. I removed the snorkel and cut off the backfire screen from the filter. This mod alone gave it a low end feeling that was not there before.

2. I then installed a new EJK fuel programmer (from CRFsonly.com). I used the settings from Positron007 (1.5, 2, 3.5, 5, 4, 4.5) and it was clearly much better than the stock settings from the factory which was causing stalling problems at stoplights.

3. I then installed the FMF Megabomb and Q4 combo from SRMoto.com (and updated the EJK to 1.5, 2.5, 4.5, 5, 4, 4.5). So easy! This was the most transformational mod for me, as it gave the bike a ridiculously deep growl and a ton of new low end torque that hadn't been there before.

For the future, I plan on:

1. 13tooth sprocket. I plan on doing this when I perform my 600mile maintenance (I'm at 350 right now).

2. Suspension!! The front has been ok, but the rear is way too soft for me (6'1" 215lbs). I have set the preload all the way down, but looking at replacing with a nice Race Tech unit asap.

3. Modding the Airbox a little more, drilling out a series of side vents on the cover for increased airflow.

4. Purchasing a second set of street rims/tires for commuting, and then switching them off for the weekend when I get off road.

5. Paint job using Plasti-dip - still working on some desgins/colors but looking to set my CRF off a little using custom colors/graphics. Plasti-dip will allow the paint to peel off if you want to go back to stock or change colors. 

Thanks again to all of your knowledge, insights, and mechanical/technical abilities! I can't wait to be a contributor to this site and offer my ideas as well. Have a great weekend!

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

Edited by kris4000
  • Like 8

I purchased a 2015 CRF250L about 1 month ago, and thanks to everyone in this ThumperTalk forum and their knowledge, I have transformed the bike using the Stage 1 Mods and it is a whole new beast!

After seeing the robust community that surrounded this bike, and the host of easy mods that you people were doing, I didn't hesitate to purchase this bike over all the other dual sports I was looking at. 

I love taking the bike apart and working on it - Honda has done a great job making this bike so easy to disassemble and reassemble using just a hex wrench, phillips screwdriver, and a 10/12mm socket. 

Following along in this forum and doing my homework, here is what I have done so far:

1. I started with the Airbox. I removed the snorkel and cut off the backfire screen from the filter. This mod alone gave it a low end feeling that was not there before.

2. I then installed a new EJK fuel programmer. I used the settings from Positron007 (1.5, 2, 3.5, 5, 4, 4.5) and it was clearly much better than the stock settings from the factory which was causing stalling problems at stoplights.

3. I then installed the FMF Megabomb and Q4 combo (and updated the EJK to 1.5, 2.5, 4.5, 5, 4, 4.5). So easy! This was the most transformational mod for me, as it gave the bike a ridiculously deep growl and a ton of new low end torque that hadn't been there before.

For the future, I plan on:

1. 13tooth sprocket. I plan on doing this when I perform my 600mile maintenance (I'm at 350 right now).

2. Suspension!! The front has been ok, but the rear is way too soft for me (6'1" 215lbs). I have set the preload all the way down, but looking at replacing with a nice Race Tech unit asap.

3. Modding the Airbox a little more, drilling out a series of side vents on the cover for increased airflow.

4. Purchasing a second set of street rims/tires for commuting, and then switching them off for the weekend when I get off road.

5. Paint job using Plasti-dip - still working on some desgins/colors but looking to set my CRF off a little using custom colors/graphics. Plasti-dip will allow the paint to peel off if you want to go back to stock or change colors. 

Thanks again to all of your knowledge, insights, and mechanical/technical abilities! I can't wait to be a contributor to this site and offer my ideas as well. Have a great weekend!

Just a heads up, be careful with plasti-dip. I did mine last week, it looks really good and adheres well to the plastic. The only issue I am noticing is where your legs rub when sitting on the bike. I have plasti-dipped many things and I love the stuff, but to be totally honest I am taking it off the bike and replacing it all with a graphics kit I just ordered. It does not seem like the Plasti-Dip will have very long life on the bike with riding a lot....then again it might be better if you do about 8-10 coats, I only did about 5.

Two questions was it hard changing the settings on the ejk and did you have a gasket when you changed the exhaust header?

The EJK is super easy to adjust. I mean super easy. I had my concerns the first time too. Afterwards I couldn't believe I was hesitant about something so easy.

• Like 1

To Mojomonster60:

1. The EJK was very easy to setup and change. There are a bunch of videos to explain, but really, it's just pushing a button until the correct number appears on the unit. There are 6 number steps you can change, so you just go through each step and change the number up or down to match. (For example, the first step, Green, was set to 3. I wanted it to be 1.5, so I kept hitting the button until the Green was flashing between the 1 and 2 buttons which equals 1.5)

2. No, I did not have/use a gasket on the header. When I removed the stock header, there wasn't one that I could see, and I didn't see too many people mention using one either, so I just made sure to get a good clean fit and tighten it down to the torque specs. I also didn't use any silicone sealant for the fact that I plan on switching the exhaust out for the stock quiet one when I go to certain trails that require less noise. 

To Simon426:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Plasti-Dip. I have some graphic designs I made on the computer and printed that I want to tape off and paint, so I'll be sure to be liberal on the coats I put on! Using your advice, I'll be sure to pay special attention to the areas that my legs rest on while riding!

• Like 1