Sign in to follow this  

'03 YZ125

After about 6 years of sitting, my engine locked up.  Dealer says I need a new crankshaft, bearings, top end and clutch.  Unless replacing the clutch is part of the process, I had no issue with it the last time I rode it.  However I am being quoted $1100.00 parts / 415.00 Labor, plus I am guessing another 75-100 for misc. expenses. 

Is this a huge job?  Something I might consider taking on myself?  I am actually fine with the labor portion, it's just the total that has me deciding what to do. 

Any other options for parts anyone knows of? 

Thank you.

I have a service manual, a full tool box, and I see many YouTube videos.  My concern is getting in over my head as result of little tricks or some things that might not be addressed in either.  .....I go to drag races a lot, all the guys running the cars work on them, but some run much better then others, and few barely make it down the track.

Think there is a place I can do better then the dealer for $1000 plus for parts?

If you have decent mechanical wrenching skills you can do it. You should buy a few special tools. Case splitter, crank installer, flywheel puller. A clutch and flywheel holder are optional. I like Tusk brand for price and quality.

Look at FAQ section for video links and such that will help.

• Like 1

I say jump on it. As long as you have, or have access to, the tools Cman suggested, do it. Have a manual handy, and YouTube vids are great. First bike I rebuilt was a 2004 YZ125. Tore it ALL the way down. Was a little intimidated, but that's where the manual and YouTube came in. A 125 2t is a great motor to learn how to split and see how it all works.

take it to a smaller shop someone who builds engines. Theyll typically charge less. and aftermarket parts will run less. You should be able to get out for around 700 

Do it yourself. It's a great learning experience and you will better understand how the engine/transmission work.

Worst case, you take pics and post up here for help.

• Like 2

Do it yourself. It's a great learning experience and you will better understand how the engine/transmission work.

Worst case, you take pics and post up here for help.

After about 6 years of sitting, my engine locked up.  Dealer says I need a new crankshaft, bearings, top end and clutch.  Unless replacing the clutch is part of the process, I had no issue with it the last time I rode it.  However I am being quoted $1100.00 parts / 415.00 Labor, plus I am guessing another 75-100 for misc. expenses. 

Is this a huge job?  Something I might consider taking on myself?  I am actually fine with the labor portion, it's just the total that has me deciding what to do. 

Any other options for parts anyone knows of? 

Thank you.

Do it yourself, save money, learn mechanics, and we are here to help 1000%.

At the very least you shouldnt have a problem doing the top end on your own. Most shops will charge about 200 to split cases and change the bottom, provided its all stripped

Their parts are all retail oem. You could go aftermarket or at least buy oem from rmatv or the like for cheaper. Dealers around me will let you bring in your own stuff. Without looking anything up id bet you can find all of those parts for 750