Storage Question

My 230F has been in storage for the winter for the past 6 months and I'm curious how long I can leave it without being started. It has fresh oil in it, fresh gas with stabilizer, battery is out, and it's on a stand and in my buddy's garage. I thought maybe I should start it up, but don't want to dirty the oil and the air filter if I don't have to. BTW, I ride a 250X now so my 230F will be stationery for the foreseeable future until I decide to sell it. I'd hate to let it sit for a year and cause damage to it somehow when I eventually fire it up again.

Edited by mossman77

No need to start it until you start using it. Did you drain the carb if so equipped? Gas stab. will help but gas will eventually evaporate if left in carb.

No need to start it until you start using it. Did you drain the carb if so equipped? Gas stab. will help but gas will eventually evaporate if left in carb.

Yes, I drained the float bowl, but the tank is full. Edited by mossman77

Yes, I drained the float bowl, but the tank is full.

Drain the gas tank. It will  run much better with fresh gas when it is next started.

Use the old gas in an auto or truck not a m/c.

One tip I have done since a kid for storage. I start bike and squirt oil into carb when idling. Then I always park on TDC as valves are closed and bore will not see any moisture etc plus if you have a big cam it does not wear out springs by having valve open for long period of time. Had the spring issue on big solid roller cam in our drag car. Nearly 1000 bucks a set and they were having to be replaced mid season as it would start to float valves at 9000. Removed rockers after every race and just reset them before race. Same springs lasted 2 years like that. Of course this was 800+ lift cam in little small block Chevy.

PS My dad said to always park on TDC as old time racers used to do all kinds of nasty stuff like pour a little water/beer down your up-pipe etc. I think the wildest was a roll of black electrical tape in your fuel tank. Took a long time but it would gel up and just screw up your carb bad. Old men, old tricks.

One tip I have done since a kid for storage. I start bike and squirt oil into carb when idling. Then I always park on TDC as valves are closed and bore will not see any moisture etc plus if you have a big cam it does not wear out springs by having valve open for long period of time. Had the spring issue on big solid roller cam in our drag car. Nearly 1000 bucks a set and they were having to be replaced mid season as it would start to float valves at 9000. Removed rockers after every race and just reset them before race. Same springs lasted 2 years like that. Of course this was 800+ lift cam in little small block Chevy.

PS My dad said to always park on TDC as old time racers used to do all kinds of nasty stuff like pour a little water/beer down your up-pipe etc. I think the wildest was a roll of black electrical tape in your fuel tank. Took a long time but it would gel up and just screw up your carb bad. Old men, old tricks.

Setting at TDC is really good advice. Thanks! I would never have thought of this.