Sign in to follow this  

Street EXC

For you guys who SuperMoto the 530's on the street-do they overheat when you have to wait up to 4/5 min at a stoplight? Is it O K to idle them? I ride in the dirt so I shut the bike off if I am going to be stopped for any length of time. This is not practical on the street.

For you guys who SuperMoto the 530's on the street-do they overheat when you have to wait up to 4/5 min at a stoplight? Is it O K to idle them? I ride in the dirt so I shut the bike off if I am going to be stopped for any length of time. This is not practical on the street.

Even with the fan on my 500 I shut the bike down if I know the bike will be idling a long time. If you do not already have a fan installed get one - and you can also try Engine Ice or similar instead of normal coolant.

Edited by Mikek671

I guess that I have a different take on it.

For one thing, I don't have any 5 minutes lights where I live, so I can only speculate on what that might be like.  I only have two stoplights in my whole town if that tells you anything.

But, think about what happens when you're on some super tight single track, and you're barely putting along for long periods of time, a lot longer than 5 minutes at a time.  Think about how hard the motor is working in those situations.  Very little air, if any is moving across the radiator, and in those situations, my fan is on CONSTANTLY.  It's got to be hotter under those conditions than just sitting idling, I would think...