Sign in to follow this  

Chain Slap? How much slack?

Hello again. Another question.

My crf makes a noise that I am 99% sure is the chain slapping. It happens when going from low RPM to fast quickly... Basically around turns. Also if in too high a gear, say 3rd but too low of RPM. I think the chain is just vibrating on the swing arm. That's what it sounds like.

Honda manual says 1 - 1-3/8 inch slack. Mines at 1".

Should I tighten or loosen it? Or is this just normal and don't worry? That slapping has to be causing wear on something I'd think.

Stay in stock range. To tight can destroy the bearing that suports the spocket.

If the drive chain is within the stock specs i would guess you're hearing the cam chain making noise when you lug the bike.

• Like 2

Not sure what year your bike is but I know on my 05 I've got this weird little noise that I believe is the auto compression release and is normal.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

It bugged me at first but after searching this forum I've gotten over it.

With that said you should make sure it's not something serious

Not sure what year your bike is but I know on my 05 I've got this weird little noise that I believe is the auto compression release and is normal.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

It bugged me at first but after searching this forum I've gotten over it.

With that said you should make sure it's not something serious[/quote

My does same thing

I guess all 05 are like that have some clicking

And a other common problem with all crf 08 and under is the cam chain tensioner that's probably what this guy is hearing

Is is something I need to address? The sound sounds like it's coming from the rear of the bike. Like from the drive chain

It could be your rear wheel bearing

That doesn't sound good. How do I tell?

I can replicate the sound by manually making the chain slap up on the swing arm from the bottom. Is it definitely unlikely that it's that?

I'm going to remeasure my slack again to be sure. Would too tight be a cause. It's normally right when I start to go, or if I lug the in too low a gear. Once the RPMs get up and constant no sound.

That doesn't sound good. How do I tell?

I can replicate the sound by manually making the chain slap up on the swing arm from the bottom. Is it definitely unlikely that it's that?

I'm going to remeasure my slack again to be sure. Would too tight be a cause. It's normally right when I start to go, or if I lug the in too low a gear. Once the RPMs get up and constant no sound.

Put that bike up on a stand

With out running spin the rear wheel with your hand

And them listen where the sound is coming from

I bet your bearings are making grounding notice

When did you grease your swing arm bearings or linkage that may be your problem too

But more likely I say your rear wheel

Your chain slag should be some loose

You should be able to put two fingers under the chain on top of your swing arm in front of your rear tire

Don't keep that chain too tight

I can not hear any nose when I just spun the tire at all. I checked the wheel, checked for play in any direction, checked fit play in swing arm... All rock solid. I can fit 4 fingers just in front of the rear tire.

I remeasured the movement of the chain on top of swing arm again and got 1-1/4" movement range measuring at the front of tire and front of rim.

If your chains not slapping it's too tight.

so normal and don't worry then?

Free Tip. If It's bothering you now, don't ever fit a TM Designs chain slider :lol: .

It is chain slap. Same thing had me stressing for a few rides   :banghead: .

• Like 1

Free Tip. If It's bothering you now, don't ever fit a TM Designs chain slider :lol: .

It is chain slap. Same thing had me stressing for a few rides :banghead: .

Thanks my man. Then it's fine? It won't bother me if I know it's nothing to stress about, not causing damage or anything.