Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E cold start problem (with VIDEO)

Hi there, i have a 2001 DRZ400E and she always take a little time to start up.
The first time i start it, the starting motor does some rotations, the motorcycle do a flooded spit in the exhaust and then some rotations later she starts.
Here the video of it, she did flooded spit but i didnt catch it on cam.

I ride it normally, stop for a coffe, 1 hour later i pick the bike and she start at first ou second rotation of the start.
Anyone have an idea of the problem. Someone said me that could be a problem with the electric part of the bike.

• starting motor is revised
  • battery is new
  • start clutch is needing a replacement (i dont think this affects, only affects the starting motor rotate without rotating the engine.)
  • valve clearance is in speed

Thank you for the help. (I searched in another topics but didn't found this specific problem).

Edited by kaiserkaiser

Try twisting the throttle 5 or 6 times before you try to start it. Should do the trick.

Try twisting the throttle 5 or 6 times before you try to start it. Should do the trick.

I do that, it helps but still takes time.

Choke?

Choke is ON. 

This is how she starts when hot ( i was 30 minutes with the bike off).

That started up really good,   do you have the FCR carb?  if so,  like said above,  twist the throttle a few times for like a 2 second period,  and it should fire right up,   have you tried it at half choke?

That started up really good,   do you have the FCR carb?  if so,  like said above,  twist the throttle a few times for like a 2 second period,  and it should fire right up,   have you tried it at half choke?

Hi there, the bike have the FCR carb that is stock (is a  2001 model ) with 165 main jet. The air box dont have the top snorkel. The bike have a full CRD exhaust system, says (for race use only) so dont have any restrictions.

The first video i done was with twist of the throttle a few times, the bike do the flooded spit in the exhaust and only some rotations later will start. I will with half choke but normally is still worse.

The air filter is not in top condition, could that affect? I only ride on the rode, so she don't get much dust. 

The cam chain could affect it? The engine sound normal working,

Thanks 

Try richening up the air/fuel screw,  on bottom of carb,  should be about 2 1/2 turns out,  sometimes they are only like 1 - 1 1/2 turns out,  when you richen it up a bit,  should start much easier,  try it,  see how many truns out it is first. 

• Like 1

Make sure the air boot is making a good connection to the carb.  I had the same problem as you,  very tough starts but started great once it had been run.  I noticed my air boot wasn't perfectly mated to my carb (small air gap on bottom).  Once I fixed that problem the bike starts perfectly every time.    

• Like 1

When my engine my engine is cold, I hold the throttle at 1/4 turn, push the starter and it fires up. When its warm, one push and it starts without throttle. 

Didn't think I had an issue and still don't  :thumbsup:

Edited by DeeAreZee
  • Like 1

Make sure the air boot is making a good connection to the carb.  I had the same problem as you,  very tough starts but started great once it had been run.  I noticed my air boot wasn't perfectly mated to my carb (small air gap on bottom).  Once I fixed that problem the bike starts perfectly every time.    

The carb is nicely  mated but i will do a extra check tomorrow. Thank you.

Try richening up the air/fuel screw,  on bottom of carb,  should be about 2 1/2 turns out,  sometimes they are only like 1 - 1 1/2 turns out,  when you richen it up a bit,  should start much easier,  try it,  see how many truns out it is first. 

I will try this. Thank you. 

Sorry for taking so much time to update but just add my bike this week with new starter clutch and the starting problems disappeared. The old starter clutch needed many rotations until lock.