2005 cr 250r oil

Can I use amsoil synthetic 10 40 or 20-50? That's what I use in my 450 didn't know if I could use it 2 stroke

You need a premix oil to mix in the gasoline & a motorcycle transmission oil for the transmission. A car motor oil does not have the shear strength to Hadley the pressure between the gears in the transmission. It will break down quickly.

try out type F ATF fluid

AmsOil makes 10w 40 motorcycle transmission oil.

I was talking about amsoils motorcycle oil no car oil lol

Yeah the amsoil motorcycle oil would be a great oil.

Oh god another one of these, use what you choose, car oil is fine, motorcycle oil is fine, ATF will be fine, gear oil will be fine, rotella and similar diesel oils will be fine. I've literally used every fluid I've mentioned so far.

As long as it works and your clutch doesn't slip you're good

Oh god another one of these, use what you choose, car oil is fine, motorcycle oil is fine, ATF will be fine, gear oil will be fine, rotella and similar diesel oils will be fine. I've literally used every fluid I've mentioned so far.

As long as it works and your clutch doesn't slip you're good

I think we need a sticky for oil types and what not.

no offense to the op, but there is prob at least 100 what oil to use threads.

I think we need a sticky for oil types and what not.

no offense to the op, but there is prob at least 100 what oil to use threads.

I vote chokey to write up a huge sticky on oils and dispel the common myths like "Jaso-ma" ratings, motorcycle specific oils and what is safe to use. Why rotella is such a loved oil, ect.

It would keep so many of these threads from coming

They could make a sticky but the threads will still come about.

With that said, what's the big deal if these threads keep coming up? We all have the option to either ignore it or participate. I find it a bit funny when I read these threads & there are always people making some sort of comment or complaint of the thread content. Those comments are just as redundant as the oil thread itself. Look how many other threads are repeated. Oil happens to be one of the more popular topics. So either participate in the thread topic or move on.

I'm not trying to start any arguments with this. It's a defense for the people who haven't found the other threads & are truly interested in what people have to say about oil options. I know alot of the posts don't have any scientific backing but it is what it is.

With that said, what's the big deal if these threads keep coming up? We all have the option to either ignore it or participate. I find it a bit funny when I read these threads & there are always people making some sort of comment or complaint of the thread content. Those comments are just as redundant as the oil thread itself. Look how many other threads are repeated. Oil happens to be one of the more popular topics. So either participate in the thread topic or move on.

I'm not trying to start any arguments with this. It's a defense for the people who haven't found the other threads & are truly interested in what people have to say about oil options. I know alot of the posts don't have any scientific backing but it is what it is.

I would have to agree with your comments & to OP be careful when reading suggestions on this board if your a newb in the sport.   I see kids & members posting bad or incorrect info a lot & you have to sift thru that most of the time.   Unless there is an oil engineer expert that can come on here & shed light on this topic I'd be careful with the advice given.   They're are different oils made that have certain chemicals & additives for different applications for a reason.       

Edited by H4L

I agree with you.  Either participate or not, not everyone has been on this board for 5 years and knows everything that was posted.  And most people still are not computer literate enough to know they can even search for what they are looking for .....this guy is just asking a simple question.  Run whatever you want its your bike and your money, for me I'll spend a few extra bucks and run what is supposed to be run by motorcycle specific companies that have tried and tested what they sell.  Not everyone has that option or knowledge or cares for that matter!  I use to run castrol motor oil in my 89 cr250 back in the day.  never had a issue, but then again I really didn't care back then as long as I was riding.  Now I look at it different because I want the CR250 to last for long time because they don't make them anymore!

I agree with you.  Either participate or not, not everyone has been on this board for 5 years and knows everything that was posted.  And most people still are not computer literate enough to know they can even search for what they are looking for .....this guy is just asking a simple question.  Run whatever you want its your bike and your money, for me I'll spend a few extra bucks and run what is supposed to be run by motorcycle specific companies that have tried and tested what they sell.  Not everyone has that option or knowledge or cares for that matter!  I use to run castrol motor oil in my 89 cr250 back in the day.  never had a issue, but then again I really didn't care back then as long as I was riding.  Now I look at it different because I want the CR250 to last for long time because they don't make them anymore!

Agree.   With age comes maturity & knowledge for the most part in understanding things better.   I'm old skool so I don't understand the attitude I see on the forums, back in the day we helped a fellow rider out especially if he was a newb to the sport.  Of course this was before social media...