'13 WR250F vs '15 YZ250F

My riding has shifted exclusively to the track and the suspension and gearing on my '13 WR250F (with the usual power mods) are coming up short. The sprockets are stock. I added 40 cc's of fork oil.

I'm a 54 y.o novice with 5 years riding experience (4 trail, 1 MX). Still pretty slow compared to most guys at the track. I'm not looking to race, just improve at a reasonable pace given my age.

Here's what I'm considering:

1) Get a YZ 250F.  Will I be overwhelmed by the power? Buy the YZ, then detune with programming tool if necessary?

2) Get a CRF250R. Known to be beginner friendly.

3) Keep the WR and have suspension built properly for the track and change sprockets.

I'm all ears.

Edited by gatorfan

Buy an fx. Power is not overwelming and if you wanna go trail you can. everyone who has taken on the track has said it is awesome.

If you want to ride on the MX track only, get a YZ.

I wouldn't be worried about not being able to handle the power output on MX track, but the power delivery and improved suspension for such riding would be worth it.

If you can afford two bikes, keep the WR250F for the days you feel like trail riding (and, more than likely, those days will come back).

As mentioned, the YZ250FX is aimed at the middle ground and seems a good choice.

The YZ's power is not overwhelming, and it's an awesome trail machine as is. I don't think you can go wrong with a YZ or FX. I chose the YZ for the weight. 

Well, I just listed the WR on craigslist so option #3 - upgrade the WR for MX riding - is out.

I prefer the YZ , thanks to the input here, but may end up with the CRF as there are some leftover '14's near me crazy cheap.

YZ, I like your idea of getting an MX ride and keeping the WR on standby.  But I also bought a Versys this year. I can't afford to get divorced.

I bet you'll have a great time on a YZ250F on the MX track - it's natural habitat.

Let us know how it feels once you get one.

I have a 14 yzf it is a super fun bike to ride it has plenty of power it also revs to the moon and still pulls the power suspension is is great also ergos great it's just a great bike. You will not be over welmed with power.

Edited by YzCas

Well, I just listed the WR on craigslist so option #3 - upgrade the WR for MX riding - is out.

I prefer the YZ , thanks to the input here, but may end up with the CRF as there are some leftover '14's near me crazy cheap.

YZ, I like your idea of getting an MX ride and keeping the WR on standby. But I also bought a Versys this year. I can't afford to get divorced.

I made the exact same swap myself. Have a 13 wr250f and bought a 15 yz250f this year. You won't be overwhelmed by the power. It is definitely geared shorter though, and by that is much easier to loft the front end. But this was also on purpose by me, not that I didn't expect it. I did it cause I can now...You can always change a tooth on the rear sprocket, but first gear may seem a little to tall for really technical stuff. I also listed my WR, but am reconsidering since what it was built for (trail riding) it truly is perfect for. It shines in its own way, and I actually look at the bike differently now. Both are amazing bikes, and both are built with a specific purpose in mind. I just found myself on the MX track so much that it made sense to get the YZ, but the YZF seems to really be bridging that gap for some.. I will likely be keeping my WR as well..

You'll be happy with the YZF. It's what it was designed for. I tried riding my ktm 250xcf-w at the track a couple times and learned pretty quick that wasn't going to work. So I bought a 2013 yz250f and love it. The ktm is still much better at offroad.  

I'm 58 and just started riding track a few years ago. The vet track is fun but the big boy track is still scary (Cahullia Creek MX in Cali).