Sign in to follow this  

Supercross 2016 SX schedule-NO Houston round.

Houston dropped for 2016. CA gets 6 rounds. :foul:

Date                 Venue                                                  City

January 9         Angel Stadium                                    Anaheim, Calif.

January 16       Petco Park                                           San Diego

January 23       Angel Stadium                                    Anaheim, Calif.

January 30       O.Co Coliseum                                    Oakland, Calif.

February 6        University of Phoenix Stadium             Glendale, Ariz.

February 13      Petco Park                                           San Diego

February 20      AT&T Stadium                                    Arlington, Texas

February 27      Georgia Dome                                     Atlanta

March 5**         Daytona International Speedway         Daytona Beach, Fla.

March 12         Rogers Centre                                      Toronto

March 19         Ford Field                                            Detroit

April 2              Levi’s Stadium                                     Santa Clara, Calif.

April 9              Lucas Oil Stadium                               Indianapolis

April 16            Edward Jones Dome                            St. Louis

April 23            Gillette Stadium                                  Foxborough, Mass.

April 30            MetLife Stadium                                  East Rutherford, N.J.

May 7               Sam Boyd Stadium                             Las Vegas

Hmm, back to Toronto. Two rounds in San Diego. And of course Foxborough, MA, the capital of supercross. Interesting changes they made for 2016.

Two San Diegos..... The deserved fans get more races.

At least they dropped one of the Anaheim rounds. Watching the third Anaheim race on TV, I saw a lot of empty seats. Two nonconsecutive San Diego rounds is interesting. A round in Mass a week before NJ, I can see the Met Life attendance taking a huge hit.

I understood the cali races are the least attended. 

the deserved fans get more races...sure... guess that the stadiums would be empty elsewhere? Not surprising sine the industry is based there and CA is still the moto mecca.

I didn't see a single sx race this season that looked packed. A lot of empty seats this year.

• Like 1

Stoked Toronto is back, but SIX Cali races??? Getting a little old with shitty dirt and low attendance. Too bad Seattle seems out of the mix entirely as well now. 

I understood the cali races are the least attended. 

Thats not what the numbers reflect.  There was a reason they had three Anaheims.

Feld gets the whole Stadium for a month. Why a A3 that has poor attendance?  They have the stadium

and dirt in place anyways.  They package monster Trucks between 

races as well, why?  This makes money, if a place is not selling they dump it for

a stadium that sells better.  They are also trying hard to bust in on the whole east coast market.

LA/OC has no football team, same reason. No one goes.  

2012 article, 

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/05/07/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Supercross.aspx

More recent figures as a total.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/05/02/supercross-popularity-rising-as-champion-ryan-villopoto-leads-series-to-las-vegas-finale/8624185/

Now if one is pist that a city next to you lost it's SX race it's money.  If half the races or in California there is a reason-money.  

So back to my original question, what was Houston's attendance? 

I didn't see a single sx race this season that looked packed. A lot of empty seats this year.

San Diego moved to Petco stadium from Qualcomm this year and it was sold out. It is a smaller venue (41,000 capacity). They ran out of food and beer about a third of the way into the races. Don't think they'll make that mistake again this year! 

Edited by PBDBLUE

Thats not what the numbers reflect.  There was a reason they had three Anaheims.

Feld gets the whole Stadium for a month. Why a A3 that has poor attendance?  They have the stadium

and dirt in place anyways.  They package monster Trucks between 

races as well, why?  This makes money, if a place is not selling they dump it for

a stadium that sells better.  They are also trying hard to bust in on the whole east coast market.

LA/OC has no football team, same reason. No one goes.  

2012 article, 

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/05/07/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Supercross.aspx

More recent figures as a total.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/05/02/supercross-popularity-rising-as-champion-ryan-villopoto-leads-series-to-las-vegas-finale/8624185/

Now if one is pist that a city next to you lost it's SX race it's money.  If half the races or in California there is a reason-money.  

So back to my original question, what was Houston's attendance? 

couple years ago I think somebody posted the attendances for all the races and Cali were some of the poorest attended races if I recall.  Looks like the east coast races this year had the largest attendance

It looks like they might be rotating stadiums in and out of the series. Giving some cities a break for a couple of years then returning. According to the article Atlanta had the highest attendance. More people would attend the races if the championship came down to the last race but, most of the time it is decided with several rounds left to go.

• Like 1

Houston, we have a problem... Road trip for fans!

In California ,we recycle our dirt.  I expect there to be lots of Monster truck events.

Date                 Venue                                                  City

January 9         Angel Stadium                                    Anaheim, Calif.  (Monster Jam Jan 16)

January 16       Petco Park                                           San Diego

January 23       Angel Stadium                                    Anaheim, Calif.  (Monster Jam Jan 30)

January 30       O.Co Coliseum                                    Oakland, Calif.  (Monster Jam Feb 20)

February 6        University of Phoenix Stadium       Glendale, Ariz.  (Racers can attend online to get their trophy.)

February 13      Petco Park                                           San Diego

February 20      AT&T Stadium                                    Arlington, Texas

February 27      Georgia Dome                                     Atlanta

March 5**         Daytona International Speedway         Daytona Beach, Fla.

March 12         Rogers Centre                                      Toronto

March 19         Ford Field                                            Detroit

April 2              Levi’s Stadium                                  Santa Clara, Calif. (Wait a minute, is this used Oakland dirt?)

April 9              Lucas Oil Stadium                               Indianapolis

April 16            Edward Jones Dome                            St. Louis

April 23            Gillette Stadium                                  Foxborough, Mass.

April 30            MetLife Stadium                                  East Rutherford, N.J.

May 7               Sam Boyd Stadium                             Las Vegas  (Everyone is injured or waiting for the outdoor.)

couple years ago I think somebody posted the attendances for all the races and Cali were some of the poorest attended races if I recall.  Looks like the east coast races this year had the largest attendance

I searched and not a lot of info.  2001 was the biggest season I gather.  A1 sells out every year and I do know the California races draw.

Either fishing or legitimate whining, not sure...Get in your brodozer and drive to Arlington. Some of us on the east coast have done it for years to see Jumpocross by making the trek to Atlanta, Daytona or NY/NJ. 

I personally don't get putting Mass and NY/NJ back to back other than logistics reasons, but hell another east coast option is always welcomed. Late April makes it line up with the start of JDay races up there. Might have to make the drive up to see some family, race and go to the Gillette race.