Sign in to follow this  

2005 RM125 Wont Shift into Second

Hi, I have a 2005 RM125 with about 14 hours on top and bottom end. My problem is that it will not shift into second. I can shift into first and neutral just fine but I can't go into second.

I had this problem about 2 weeks ago but it randomly fixed itself after riding. This past weekend while I was at Redbud it happened again. During practice I was able to shift into all the gears but then randomly it wouldn't shift back to second. I could shift into first and neutral but nothing else.

I have a picture attached.

Here is the youtube video: 

IMG_20150501_135812207.jpg

Mates gear shifter was set too high on his 03 a few weeks ago and was hitting the cases, stopping it from shifting up gears. Sounds too easy but worth checking.

Mates gear shifter was set too high on his 03 a few weeks ago and was hitting the cases, stopping it from shifting up gears. Sounds too easy but worth checking.

Thanks for the response! I have checked the shifter but it's not hitting anything. I did adjust it before but made sure it wasn't hitting the cases.

It's strange because I had this problem before but it fixed itself while I was riding one day, now it came back and it's bugging me.

Well I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a broken gear (tooth missing) and severe damage to all the engagement dogs/recesses on every single gear on the output shaft. Strangely, the input shaft and all its gears were just perfect...I'll guess some previous owner made a budget repair at some time.

Just purchased a complete used transmission for my bike to replace this mess.

Another issue was with the shifter selector drum left hand side bearing surface, which is very poorly heat treated, and was worn to the extent that it wouldn't turn smoothly in its needle bearing. I fixed this using a quality 25x22x15mm SKF bearing sleeve, pressed onto the drum end after machining it down to 22mm OD.

/Lasse

• Like 1

Well I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a broken gear (tooth missing) and severe damage to all the engagement dogs/recesses on every single gear on the output shaft. Strangely, the input shaft and all its gears were just perfect...I'll guess some previous owner made a budget repair at some time.

Just purchased a complete used transmission for my bike to replace this mess.

Another issue was with the shifter selector drum left hand side bearing surface, which is very poorly heat treated, and was worn to the extent that it wouldn't turn smoothly in its needle bearing. I fixed this using a quality 25x22x15mm SKF bearing sleeve, pressed onto the drum end after machining it down to 22mm OD.

/Lasse

Thanks for the response! I haven't split the cases yet. I think I might try and sell it like this and just move on to another bike if I don't bring it in for a repair or do it myself.