Scotts Damper Disassembly Help

I bought a Scotts damper used about two years ago and the top main seal has started to leak. I ordered up some seals and O-rings figuring I would dissassemble it all, clean and inspect, and rebuild it. I got the two halves off easy enough, but I'm stumped on how to get the high and low speed knobs off.

I am trying to get parts 7 and 26 out.

1500.jpg

Just guessing that the hole on the side of the high speed damper knob goes through. One the slow speed side, there is just the sweep valve. On the high speed side there is a sweep valve and another hole with something in it.. 

I'm pretty sure the pin on the high speed valve only holds the external knob portion into the internal components. I may have to still take the pin out in order to remove the knob portion to gain access to something that allowed me to remove the internal portion though.

I've heard that Scoots will do an oil change and seals for only $25

I've heard that Scoots will do an oil change and seals for only $25

Their site says $65 and it only includes two seals, one O-ring, one shear pin, and oil. Add shipping and any wear items they find and I'm looking at $100 and two weeks wait time for them to service my used damper... no thanks.

http://www.scottsonline.com/litrack/367.pdf

I ordered $20 in parts from them already, and I have the oil. Now I just need to figure out how to fully disassemble this thing.

Edited by woods-rider

I watched that one, and many others. They don't show how to remove the valve knobs.

I may be called an idiot but the pic looks like the 2 pins (5 and 18) need to be removed and they will slide out. This is an uneducated quess.

Not sure 18 is a pin. Used to have a GPR and it was simple compared.

Edited by Eightball64

I may be called an idiot but the pic looks like the 2 pins (5 and 18) need to be removed and they will slide out. This is an uneducated quess.

Not sure 18 is a pin. Used to have a GPR and it was simple compared.

18 is not part of either valve knob. I have already take that one out though.

5 may allow the high speed valve to come out, but it looks like that is just to get the knob off and not the actual valve.

I'm surprised by how little info there is out there on taking these valves apart.

Maybe on Monday Eric@ScottsPerformance will chime in. His message box on here is full so I couldn't shoot him a message.

The silver part on #7 looks like it has threads and screws into the top cap.

You can try calling scotts, they are helpful as long as you pretend you are buying something. Otherwise, their customer service is pretty crappy.

You can try calling scotts, they are helpful as long as you pretend you are buying something. Otherwise, their customer service is pretty crappy.

Yeah, I will do that on Monday if I don't get the info I need on here by then.

I will be riding today without a damper for the first time in about two years, should be interesting.