Sign in to follow this  

Which Helmet Camera?

Hi guys,

I am looking to purchase a helmet camera for when I am out and about doing silly stuff :-)

I tried to watch a lot of reviews and discussions comparing the different models out there - but they all seem to be a few years old?

My budget is around 2-250. 

I've been looking at:

GoPro Hero 3+ Silver

- I really don't like the shape of this camera

- Quality of video seems to be superior 

Drift HD Ghost 

- I love the shape 

- Cool feature rotating the lens 

But is it still up to speed compared to the GoPros now that it is at least 2 years old?

There are also the Ion Air Pros and the Contour but I think, for me personally, it's between the Drift and GoPro.

What do y'all use? What do you recommend? 

I have a midland XTC 280 Action camera.  I love it.  It was around the $200 mark.

Here is one video from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4QW0BTa5I

I had to do a simulation for work (I am a safety trainer) and is undertaking some egress studies of vehicles that crash into water.  This was a test run on some logistics, at the time the Ice Bucket challenge was in full swing, so I decided to combine the two. 

I used a 1986 Power Ram and cut a hole in the top of it and had it filled with water (using a water truck)  again part of my studies I had the Midland on the floor pointed at my feet and a go pro on the roof inside the cab.

After the simulation was completed I forgot about the Midland Camera, it was not mounted very good and moved around when I started the truck up and drove it !  lol put on a top gear kind of show.

Anyways, here is the picture quality and sound quality.  Let me know what you think or if you want some more info.  I found the sound quality to be very good! (turn up the volume!)

People with GoPro are sheep and all about that status, like if that ain't a GoPro camera you're using, you don't qualify as being 'Cool'.  You all know what I'm talking about!  

Edited by Cute2strokeBoy
  • Like 1

I have a midland XTC 280 Action camera.  I love it.  It was around the $200 mark.

Here is one video from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4QW0BTa5I

I had to do a simulation for work (I am a safety trainer) and is undertaking some egress studies of vehicles that crash into water.  This was a test run on some logistics, at the time the Ice Bucket challenge was in full swing, so I decided to combine the two. 

I used a 1986 Power Ram and cut a hole in the top of it and had it filled with water (using a water truck)  again part of my studies I had the Midland on the floor pointed at my feet and a go pro on the roof inside the cab.

After the simulation was completed I forgot about the Midland Camera, it was not mounted very good and moved around when I started the truck up and drove it !  lol put on a top gear kind of show.

Anyways, here is the picture quality and sound quality.  Let me know what you think or if you want some more info.  I found the sound quality to be very good! (turn up the volume!)

Cool video! Thanks for sharing.

I'll definitely look into the camera model you listed! 

• Like 1

Go-Pro 5 will be out soon. Then you might be able to afford a 4+. They are awesome.

Seems like it might be toward the end of this year - I'd like to get some footage in over the summer! 

People with GoPro are sheep and all about that status, like if that ain't a GoPro camera you're using, you don't qualify as being 'Cool'.  You all know what I'm talking about!  

I tired others first because I hate the look of them mounted on the helmet. Ended up with a Go-Pro. "If ya can't beat them, Join them".

• Like 1

I tired others first because I hate the look of them mounted on the helmet. Ended up with a Go-Pro. "If ya can't beat them, Join them".

This is where I'm at right now ..

Except that Drift HD Ghost seems decent. Good quality video, long battery life, rotational lens, that loop feature, and good shape. But it IS two years old. So I was just worried there might be something else out there that was much better for the same price. 

This is where I'm at right now ..

Except that Drift HD Ghost seems decent. Good quality video, long battery life, rotational lens, that loop feature, and good shape. But it IS two years old. So I was just worried there might be something else out there that was much better for the same price. 

JFYI. You can run the Go-Pro upside down.

Here's how I mounted mine. Used a Go-Pro surf board mount.

001_zps78d33dae.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 1

JFYI. You can run the Go-Pro upside down.

Here's how I mounted mine. Used a Go-Pro surf board mount.

001_zps78d33dae.jpg

That doesn't look half bad at all! 

That doesn't look half bad at all! 

Waiting for the day I face plant and send it through my goggles but so far so good :lol: .

• Like 1

It markets itself. 

Master Race ;) .

One of my all time favourite Videos :thumbsup: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

Yep as everyone says, GoPro for sure. Not because i'm a fanboy, but because I own one and it's vastly superior. That said, the only other cam i've tried is a sony action cam (* ehem...dungey/RC marketing...ehem*) and its a true piece of shit.

I bought a hero3+ right when the 4 came out, no regrets!

• Like 1