2015 yz250FX Kickstart

Anyone else having trouble Kickstarting these bikes? For the life of me I cannot start the bike with the Kickstart. I just end up out of breath then just push the button. Am I retarded? I got the electric start for a reason but would be nice to know it will.kick start if I had to...Thanks!

• Like 1

Someone else posted a thread a while back I think..

With the F, cold its 3 good strong kicks with the cold start pulled.

warm its one kick unless you crash or stall. Cant imagine the FX being much different.

You have to put some ass into it, full stroke..

The FX has the same cams as the 15 WR250F, and yes, they both kick start very hard. It is possible to kick start it from cold, but you will have to give it a major man kick. I contacted Yamaha about this, but they say they have no other reports. I talked to some guy named Brian (or maybe Ryan? He's very hard to understand). He was very interested to help resolve the issue, but he needs more reports to generate a report to Yamaha. Call the Yamaha service department and make your reports.

Both the FX & WR have different cams than the YZ250F, so do not compare to YZF, and so please don't comment how great your YZF starts because this thread is about FX and WR.

Also- The difficult kicking is NOT due to the resistance of the starter motor. The sound you hear from the starter motor when you shut off the engine, is from the engine kicking/rotating backwards on the last compression, which engages the starter motor and then the starter motor spins backwards. Think about it- IF the starter motor were constantly engaged, it would be HUGE power drag and generate an incredible amount of heat.

• Like 1

I tried to kick start mine from cold this morning. Three good kicks with the cold start pulled did nothing but make my leg tired. It is suprisingly hard to kick. I'll have to try with it warm to see if that is any easier. In the end though, the bike starts so easy with the button, I'm not really concerned.

I've had mine about 2 months and still havn't been able to start it using the kickstart. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mine will start by kicking easily when warm but the few times I have tried cold, I eventually gave up and used the starter.

Edited by nucular

The FX has the same cams as the 15 WR250F, and yes, they both kick start very hard. It is possible to kick start it from cold, but you will have to give it a major man kick. I contacted Yamaha about this, but they say they have no other reports. I talked to some guy named Brian (or maybe Ryan? He's very hard to understand). He was very interested to help resolve the issue, but he needs more reports to generate a report to Yamaha. Call the Yamaha service department and make your reports.

Both the FX & WR have different cams than the YZ250F, so do not compare to YZF, and so please don't comment how great your YZF starts because this thread is about FX and WR.

Also- The difficult kicking is NOT due to the resistance of the starter motor. The sound you hear from the starter motor when you shut off the engine, is from the engine kicking/rotating backwards on the last compression, which engages the starter motor and then the starter motor spins backwards. Think about it- IF the starter motor were constantly engaged, it would be HUGE power drag and generate an incredible amount of heat.

Wasn't bragging.. I never said the F was easy to kick

I tried to kick start mine from cold this morning. Three good kicks with the cold start pulled did nothing but make my leg tired. It is suprisingly hard to kick. I'll have to try with it warm to see if that is any easier. In the end though, the bike starts so easy with the button, I'm not really concerned.

I know right? By the time I'm finished trying to Kickstart the damn thing I'm too tired to ride it...pretty much just wanna go for a nap!

I know when i start mine i always pull the throttle full on 3 times for a second or 2 and starts first push (tip outta a mag). Might work for the kick as well. I cant check because im waiting for my revalved suspension in the mail!

• Like 2

Only once it didn't start with the kick starter but that was 4 hrs into a ride and I'm a bit of a &%$#@!.

I know when i start mine i always pull the throttle full on 3 times for a second or 2 and starts first push (tip outta a mag). Might work for the kick as well. I cant check because im waiting for my revalved suspension in the mail!

This was very helpful.  I tried it once this past weekend and it seemed to help.  It doesn't seem logical to me but I don't understand how the FI system operates I guess.  Where did you read that?

Think it was in a transmoto mag. Ive read every read up on the WRs and fxs so its hard to remember.

• Like 1

I tried that this weekend- hold it wide open and let it spin for 4-5 compressions, then close the throttle and it seems to fire up pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

This method could be clearing out the engine and then the EFI can do its thing with a clear engine.

It will be interesting to see if this improves the cold starting when the bike is maybe 40F or so.

But- People, if your 15 WR or YZFX is having some starting issues by kick starting or electric starting, be sure to contact Yamaha. Not just your dealer because he will shrug his shoulders and forget about it. Contact Yamaha customer service directly. Without a doubt, these bikes SHOULD start better than this and Yamaha will not know to make the improvements unless we make the reports.

Edited by BazookaJoe
  • Like 2

Mine starts within the first 3 kicks from cold with the kickstart.

Coming from a 12 yz250f the fx kick has a lot more resistance in it, but still quite easy.

yeah i don't get it my bike gets consistent holeshots by kicking it. starts just like my 14 yz250f did. Make sure you're on top dead center.

I don't mean to hijack the thread or change the topic but I'm looking to buy an FX. How does everyone like theirs?? I think an opinion from the average rider is better than some magazine. I'm coming off a 2005 rmz250 the only riding I really do is local orv parks and sand dune trips

My 2015 yz250fx always starts in 2-5 kicks even when cold. They are harder to kick than the yz250f, this i know only because i have personally kicked over both a yz250f and a yz250fx, im not sure if its because the e-start, probably not, but it was defiantly harder to kick.. My e-start stopped working and i have been kick starting it ever since with no issues. I started it in 3 kicks at 0 degrees Fahrenheit with the choke pulled after it sat for weeks. You defiantly have to have it at the top of the compression stroke and a damn good kick, treat it like a 450.

IMG_1606[1].JPG

Edited by Wtfoucart