Suzuki RM370 advice

Hello thumper talk I have been lurking for a while and finnaly bought my first dirtbike I have other offroad toys just never a dirtbike. So now I need help I was searching for a older bike with more character. I finnaly found one and picked it up yesterday its a 1977 Rm370. I picked it up for $400. It needs a clutch bolt, clutch cover kick start and the back break is the throttle because the previous owner didn't have a replacement twist throttle. Now the questions. Will any generic twist throttle work or is it model specific? Where can I find a clutch cover and the center bolt? And does anyone have a manual? I have searched but theres not a whole lot out there for this model because it was only made two years.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

grats on your first bike.

your best friend is going to be ebay.

if the throttle is a single wire then just about any will work.

also that chain looks really tight.

good luck and happy hunting.

Yup, cool bike!  Just remember that fixing up an old bike is just as expensive or even more than fixing up a new one.

I like the suggestion about going to eBay, Clymer manuals covers this model (and several other model years) ~ grab the first one to pop up.

Like this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clymer-Repair-Service-Shop-Manual-Vintage-Suzuki-RM50-60-80-100-125-250-370-400-/131098422632?fits=Model%3ARM250&hash=item1e86132d68&vxp=mtr

Motion Pro has a generic throttle assembly and cable that will work.  Then again, I had a 1990 RM250 throttle assembly on my '81 RM250 (better design), I'd be willing to bet that any RM250 assembly up to the mid '90's ('95 and under) would bolt on to your 370.  Just like brake and clutch lever assemblies off of a '84 RM250 (last year for cable brakes) would bolt on, work awesome and be a really nice upgrade over what the stock assemblies are.

You should be able to order the clutch bolt and kick start from your dealership, although www.Bikebandit.com would be just as good and they'll ship it right to your front door. 

The clutch cover might be a trick, that's an eBay item if you do not have a cycle salvage yard close by.

What ever you do "don't cobble" any of this back together, that only causes more problems.  Doing it right in the beginning will make owning the bike more enjoyable and easier to sell when the time comes.

Hello thumper talk I have been lurking for a while and finnaly bought my first dirtbike I have other offroad toys just never a dirtbike. So now I need help I was searching for a older bike with more character. I finnaly found one and picked it up yesterday its a 1977 Rm370. I picked it up for $400. It needs a clutch bolt, clutch cover kick start and the back break is the throttle because the previous owner didn't have a replacement twist throttle. Now the questions. Will any generic twist throttle work or is it model specific? Where can I find a clutch cover and the center bolt? And does anyone have a manual? I have searched but theres not a whole lot out there for this model because it was only made two years.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

You know, the more I look at your bike I'd swear that it's a 1980 RM400.  The swingarm, side panels, seat & tank all look like '80 RM400.  What makes you think that it's a 370?

You know, the more I look at your bike I'd swear that it's a 1980 RM400.  The swingarm, side panels, seat & tank all look like '80 RM400.  What makes you think that it's a 370?

You're right......some things not right.    :smashpc:

It looks like an older 370 motor...... 400 had a more robust expansion chamber.

Side panels and seat say 1980

I don't think a 370 ever had a aluminum swing arm.

Suspension looks a little low for a '80 model ......in the front anyways.   Maybe it's the huge front fender!

Edited by moto2000

imagejpeg_1.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

http://vintage-suzuki.com/en/

So I have a RM400 not a RM370? I only thought it was a RM370 because thats what I bought it as. Are there any pictures I can take and post for you to confirm this?

Check the VIN number, and the capacity should be on the barrel immediately above the crankcase

all the 370's i find on google look like this.

1976-Suzuki-RM370-Yellow-5793-0.jpg

think it is a safe bet you have the 400

your expansion pipe looks a bit different than the 400's, the 400'sdrops to the bottom of the frame and yours is mid like the 370.  possibly a 370 motor in the 400 frame?

Edited by Excitable

Looks like a RM 370 motor stuffed into a '80 RM125 (or 250) frame. Note the lack of front motor mounts(or moved up, I can't tell), cylinder head jammed into the bottom of the tank, carb tipped back past the shock resevoirs and no airbox.  :(   Either way, something is pretty jenky

IMG_7049_zpsi6b56wq1.jpg

bikepics-1819709-800_zpslzixvqzc.jpg

Edited by moto2000