Sign in to follow this  

Story Of My 1st MX Bike

I was posting a before and after pic of my first MX bike I bought 4 years ago when I learned how to ride MX, a 2001 CR125. I got all sentimental and nostalgic and was looking through my photos and thought i'd post a little timeline of the work I had put into it and progression of riding over 4 years. Thought it would be different then my once a month GoPro vid I post here with no comments lol. Hope you enjoy!

The day I bought it in 2011. Still had OEM plastics, graphics, and handlebars. I was 20 yrs old in college and had dreamed of riding MX ever since I could remember. This was one of the best days of my life.

P1000959.jpg

Had access to a private MX track in college. Learning how to jump, this was my first "big air"

Snapshot%201%207-11-2012%2011-40%20AM.pn

First time bottoming out

Snapshot%203%207-11-2012%2011-41%20AM.pn

Not too long after crank bearing seized and I underwent my first ever engine rebuild. No prior mechanical experience, but had a buddy to help show me the ropes. Needed lots of what you see in the last pic.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

First race I ever won a podium position, got 2nd place. Probably the 2nd best day of my life.

Log%20Road%203.jpg

Log%20Road%205.jpg

IMG_1257.png

First cool photos ever taken of me at a track. I thought I was an A class rider getting mega air at the time...

Martin%20MX%209-18.jpg

Martin%20MX%209-18%202.jpg

Snapshot%201%206-29-2013%2011-22%20PM.pn

Winter tear down and rebuild. Installed Rad valve and PWK carb swap. Best mod ever done to that bike. This was in 2013.

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

• Like 2

Christmas day ride with my little sister on board
IMG_2482.png

A few months later got my first professional job in California. Built a shipping crate for my bike/gear packed up and hit the road.
IMG_1267.jpg

First track & trail ride in California before I built a new trailer.
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg

After a year of riding in California, due for another rebuild
IMG_23911.jpg
photo%201.jpg

I typically learn the hard way. This time I learned the proper way to NOT use a clutch holding tool....RMATV also sent me the wrong size clutch springs. That was a very frustrating day. I also broke 2 clutch hubs the same way using the holding tool wrong. In my defense, my clutch holding tool didn't fit the grooves of those baskets.
unnamed.jpg
IMG_2364.jpg

Forks were so shitty on this bike someone local from this site PMd me with subtanks for sale and I picked them up. Great mod.
IMG_2852.jpg

• Like 2

A much more accomplished racer at this point, a few different races at Glen Helen including the World Vet Championship and 2 Stroke Championship. God I love and hate that track...Mainly hate.
_MGL1491-XL_1.jpg

_MGL8756-X3.jpg

_MGL8787-X3_1.jpg

Christmas in February! New parts and a full cosmetic refresh for it's soon to be new owner...

IMG_2296.jpg

The week I sold my bike as I finally upgraded to a 2011 YZ125...4 years later.
IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Well, that's the majority of the last 4 years of my MX career and the story of my first bike. Hope you enjoyed as much as I did!

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 3

Figured since I had the content i'd do a before and after video too.

The first video was one of my 1st times on a public MX track. I was lucky enough to have access to a full size private track to learn on. I had 1 year experience under my belt (6 months of winter during that year though...). I was floundering around trying to clear jumps and hang with the other riders.

The 2nd video is a lap at Milestone MX last year after coming a long ways. I was sick that day and riding lazy with poor technique, practically sitting the whole time, but still a hell of a lot better than when I began.

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 1

love this, I hope yiou do that same type of story with the yz125.

Very nice. You always remember your first, I also was late in the game, didn't get my first bike until I was 21, and that was only 3 years ago! It was a 2002 CRF450R and it was awesome. Kinda wish I didn't get rid of it, but traded it for a Yz250 which I still have today and has been recently turned into a desert enduro machine. 

Here's to 4 more years on the YZ!

Edited by crfcryzyzfltz

Props to whoever took all your action shots!!

Props to whoever took all your action shots!!

Thanks moto moms with a knack for photography and take the time to upload the photos!

Appreciate the comments guys, I put some work into this thread LOL. I think it's cool I have it documented to reference down the road. Gathering all these photos scattered on my PC and phone took forever. I skipped a ton and left out some pieces of the story, but in 4 years there's just too much to keep your attention lol.

What track is that in the first video? Also, it's a 125, hold that thing on the right all the way against the stop and regulate your speed with the lever in your right hand! Lol

Figured since I had the content i'd do a before and after video too.

The first video was one of my 1st times on a public MX track. I was lucky enough to have access to a full size private track to learn on. I had 1 year experience under my belt (6 months of winter during that year though...). I was floundering around trying to clear jumps and hang with the other riders.

The 2nd video is a lap at Milestone MX last year after coming a long ways. I was sick that day and riding lazy with poor technique, practically sitting the whole time, but still a hell of a lot better than when I began.

How big is that jump you were hitting in the first video. Cool story too, soo much improvement. Good luck with the yz. :thumbsup:

What track is that in the first video? Also, it's a 125, hold that thing on the right all the way against the stop and regulate your speed with the lever in your right hand! Lol

Martin MX the first year they opened (after mx 131)

How big is that jump you were hitting in the first video. Cool story too, soo much improvement. Good luck with the yz. :thumbsup:

No idea that was a long time ago. It wasn't that big and was built really safe. The triple was pretty long as the dude on the RM and YZ hit in the video. The double before that table was a lot harder.

For those wondering about the Yamaha, I'll surely document it. To give you an update the YZ gets a 10/10 in suspension and 10/10 in durability, but we're off to a rocky start. :lol:

• Like 3