Sign in to follow this  

will exaust leak cause lean?

I noticed on my bike it appears the pipe was broken or cut right behind the rubber gasket.  I am pretty sure it was supposed to be one piece.  no way and hell will it seal the way it is.  last night when reasembling it I put copper gasket in.  then had this steel piece with a rubber gromet about 3/8 of an inch long that meets evenly with the pipe.  no way is steel to steel going to seal...    I noticed it had an exaust leak and saw exaust coming out of there when riding before it melted the top end, but didnt even think about it (was having to much fun riding)

maybe that caused my lean condition and is why I ruined my top end?  

I may try to weld it today and make the exaust seal before trying to tune the jets.

What kind of bike? Is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I don't think an exhaust leak is going to cause a lean enough condition to melt a piston. I'd say you have other underlying issues here. Maybe an air leak or possibly your jetting is way off.

Edited by yamaha_sasquatch
  • Like 1

What kind of bike? Is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I don't think an exhaust leak is going to cause a lean enough condition to melt a piston. I'd say you have other underlying issues here. Maybe an air leak or possibly your jetting is way off.

It's very well possible. I've seen it happen on sleds before when they go for awhile with no care to the leak.

I'd find a used pipe or have the current one welded. It's more than likely it melted the piston, so it needs immediate care. 

By rubber piece, do you mean by the subframe, where the silencer and header connect?

No it broke where the pipe meets the cylinder. Right on the pipe side of the oring. When I started for the first time I hardly felt any exhaust coming out of the pipe. Most out of there... Probably why I ruined top end. Its repaired. Runs and sounds much better! Now just gotta tune it. I got my idle and pilot right I think but its a 1/4 turn from all the way in. Guess I need one size bigger? Well that is for a different thread I guess...