Mysterious smoke

Alright , so I got myself a 2012 crf230f. Nice new bike, only owner as well!

Seems to be smoking (white smoke and weird smell)occasionally when I ride, can only really notice it when idling. Seems to happy more the longer I ride, and been doing this for awhile. There's no additives in the fuel, the bike is AIR COOLED, so this white smoke can't be coolant. I have brought my bike to the dealer twice now where I purchased it, and the first time they said they found a tiny bit of dirt in my carb jet and that's about it. They said they rode it and couldn't get it to smoke. I do have a new exhaust (FMF powercore 4 ) so my bike doesn't sound like a stupid Honda Civic, and no it's not packaging smoke from the new exhaust cause this has happened for several months.

I'm assuming it could be my idle jet, or I need to rejet my carb.

The smoke isn't steam either from the cold , as Its about 20 degrees Celsius here in Canada.

I'm assuming I should check my spark plug, but what should I look for when I take it out?

Also, I always check my oil and do regular oil changes on my bike, using the oil the manual instructs to use!

When you drain your old oil; is there more than a quart drained out?

When you drain your old oil; is there more than a quart drained out?

I've never actually measured how much comes out, it goes into the drain pan and straight into the tank we store the old oil in so I never thought of that. I don't think it's oil, as the smoke looks white , not blue!

If your not burning engine oil, and you say the FMF is new (look at your spark plug the FMF makes it breath better but may make it run lean) back to the "weird" smoke............... check the air filter, it may have too much or a "weird" oil on it...........

does it still have the paper OEM filter? it should be red/pink possibly someone cleaned it and oiled it................ if so replace the filter the OEM filters are good (expensive) you do not oil them.

If your not burning engine oil, and you say the FMF is new (look at your spark plug the FMF makes it breath better but may make it run lean) back to the "weird" smoke............... check the air filter, it may have too much or a "weird" oil on it...........

does it still have the paper OEM filter? it should be red/pink possibly someone cleaned it and oiled it................ if so replace the filter the OEM filters are good (expensive) you do not oil them.

Are you talking about the oil filter or air filter? Both are stock, but the oil filter is metal, and the air filter is foam, and It's covered in the oil I sprayed on it. Could this be from the carb running lean? If that's the case I'll just rejet the carb with bigger jets

I've never actually measured how much comes out, it goes into the drain pan and straight into the tank we store the old oil in so I never thought of that. I don't think it's oil, as the smoke looks white , not blue!

If it is burning a very small amount of oil, the exhaust smoke can look white. So I'm wondering if gas could leak into the crankcase.

This would overfill the crankcase. I always check how much oil  is drained out at an oil change. I use a graduated drain pan to do this. It tells me how me how much oil is being used.

Edited by atown8605

Are you talking about the oil filter or air filter? Both are stock, but the oil filter is metal, and the air filter is foam, and It's covered in the oil I sprayed on it. Could this be from the carb running lean? If that's the case I'll just rejet the carb with bigger jets

I was talking about the air filter with too much oil.

If you want to make 100% sure it not an engine oil burning problem then do a "cylinder leak down test" and it will pinpoint the problem if it's the engine.

If it's less than 3% leakage then look elsewhere. More than 10% leakage then "Huston, we have a problem"

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430604255.834115.jpg

If it is burning a very small amount of oil, the exhaust smoke can look white. So I'm wondering if gas could leak into the crankcase.

This would overfill the crankcase. I always check how much oil is drained out at an oil change. I use a graduated drain pan to do this. It tells me how me how much oil is being used.

I'll run to the dealer ship this week and grab some oil and try that to see if there is any leakage or something

If you want to make 100% sure it not an engine oil burning problem then do a "cylinder leak down test" and it will pinpoint the problem if it's the engine.

If it's less than 3% leakage then look elsewhere. More than 10% leakage then "Huston, we have a problem"

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430604255.834115.jpg

I'll learn how to do that and attempt it! Is it fairly simple or should I just get my mechanic to do that?

I was talking about the air filter with too much oil.

It has been doing this for awhile, and dealer did air filter the first time I took it there so I assumed they did it properly