Stillwell Beta 300 rr settings..jan 15 dirtrider ?

Ok I had the settings and I can't find them now... Anyone have them out there? A nice fellow TTr shared with me.. plus I had the magazine.. now I can't find the info anywhere..  If anyone has them please post up please.. had the stillwell settings for the 15' 300 rr Beta listed in the article. I started with them then  slowed down the rebound.. it works pretty great for the full couple of minutes of adjustment.. ? but would like to try again to compare again..  A fellow Beta rider contacted me for the settings and of course being not organized I can't find the settings to give to him.. You'd be helping anyone of us ( and everyone else ) with 2 stroke 15' enduros.. and probably the 13 and 14.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

The clickers look right (basically stock) but that race sag is not. I think the Dirt Bike dudes lost something in the translation an/or Stillwell (I know they tuned for Cody)has it wrong. 95-97mm with no more than 10mm preload is the insider's setup.

This is more about front end grip than rear suspension feel.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

It is measured on the threads on the shock. From when the adjustment collar 1st starts to touch the shock crank it until you have reached 10mm or less. If it is more than that you probably need a stiffer spring and suspension performance will suffer in the chop.

I am following Glen's advice as it has been right before.

With too much sag the front end pushes when it is tested on hard flat and or dry corners.

I'd be curious to know what Stillwell's thoughts are on the 102 setting. I have to suspect that in Endurocross a light front end to get up and over rocks and logs is more important than a planted front end since most of the tracks are indoors and moist. Maybe I can ask them when they pass through Austin for the X-Games where the track gets more baked.

• 5 years later...
On 5/7/2015 at 3:52 AM, Johnny Depp said:

The clickers look right (basically stock) but that race sag is not. I think the Dirt Bike dudes lost something in the translation an/or Stillwell (I know they tuned for Cody)has it wrong. 95-97mm with no more than 10mm preload is the insider's setup.

This is more about front end grip than rear suspension feel.

Just wondering... ???  I know it’s an old thread.. what’s “ insider” more than Stillwell at this time? Stillwell was doing all the Beta pro bikes in USA at this time.  Was there some other insider influence from Boano or something? Or the Beta factory????  I don’t remember any of this for some special settings for 2015 300s. 

I'd like to know as well.

but, i've spent 1yr, now on all stock clicker settings ,and luckily for me, stock valving don't feel harsh nor too soft. i have no complaints. best stock dirtibike suspension i've ever felt. 2nd best is my 390, 8 yrs owned, still on stock valving. it just dampens well everywhere.

but curiosity got me, so i just went ahead and changed clickers up per DR specs above

im leaving the sag the same as before, which i think is 105mm rider. fork protruding at 2nd ring line down. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jeddclampette said:

but, i've spent 1yr, now on all stock clicker settings ,and luckily for me, stock valving don't feel harsh nor too soft. i have no complaints. best stock dirtibike suspension i've ever felt. 2nd best is my 390, 8 yrs owned, still on stock valving. it just dampens well everywhere.

but curiosity got me, so i just went ahead and changed clickers up per DR specs above

im leaving the sag the same as before, which i think is 105mm rider. fork protruding at 2nd ring line down. 

I know you are a very detailed guy, how do you measure sag? And alone or with a helper?

Edited by Piney Woods

1 hour ago, jeddclampette said:

Jed we need to hook up and ride. I’m in Buda and Spoaks is my hangout. 

Setting up any bike, you are just taking a shortcut using someone else’s settings. Testing for yourself is best. Once you change springs and oils in your suspension, as well as fork heights and tire sizes the goalposts have been moved. 

Beta’s chassis’s have come stock in a choppered setup which compromises front end cornering grip IMO. GP and his buddy were the 1st to point me in this direction, you may recall he developed a way to lengthen the shock which took the band aid rear sag shortening out of the equation. Nonetheless setting sag front and rear at 1/3 of total travel is considered the benchmark. 

THX for the heads up. 

But  i've  done finished clicking all them suckers out of stock specs.

I'm going riding this afternoon, hooking up with my weekly wed afternoon riding homies.  I'll know w/in 500 ft into the loop if that setup is good or not for me. Supposed to rain today, it better! I'll take a light drizzle to cool down this insane heatwave.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeddclampette said:

THX for the heads up. 

I'm going riding this afternoon, hooking up with my weekly wed afternoon riding homies.  I'll know w/in 500 ft into the loop if that setup is good or not for me. Supposed to rain today, it better! I'll take a light drizzle to cool down this insane heatwave.

Where are you riding?

3 hours ago, jeddclampette said:

THX for the heads up. 

I'll send you some, got over 4in here yesterday. With lots more coming. All it did is add steam to the mix. Come on Oct!

5 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Jed we need to hook up and ride. I’m in Buda and Spoaks is my hangout. 

Setting up any bike, you are just taking a shortcut using someone else’s settings. Testing for yourself is best. Once you change springs and oils in your suspension, as well as fork heights and tire sizes the goalposts have been moved. 

Beta’s chassis’s have come stock in a choppered setup which compromises front end cornering grip IMO. GP and his buddy were the 1st to point me in this direction, you may recall he developed a way to lengthen the shock which took the band aid rear sag shortening out of the equation. Nonetheless setting sag front and rear at 1/3 of total travel is considered the benchmark. 

Uh .. you know the frame of reference is right ?  The tester in the magazine article was testing a stock bike and got lost tuning. Was it Jimmy Lewis? Forget now..He called Stillwell and stillwell gave some basic settings he thought was good over the phone to get the tester on track again with the stock Beta test bike.  That’s all. It’s not a revalve or suspension redo or anything substantial. Anyone who play with their stock suspension could get here very easily just playing around and it’s just one place to start. It’s a super minor start off point for someone to try if they like with stock suspension for a 15’ 300 rr.  I don’t get where your reference to Stillwell “getting it wrong “with Cody Webbs suspension setup.  Did I read that right? Stillwell did Betas suspension when Cody won the National EnduroCross championship.  I rode a Stillwell suspended Beta for a guy a little bigger than I am. It was really good. . Have you ridden a Stillwell suspended Beta? Just wanted to make it clear what these settings were. If you read the article you would know this is just a baseline to start setting to play with. I started with these settings on my 300rr and then slowed the dampening in my forks a couple of clicks way back when I first tried it years ago. It’s different now. I gotta check my log book to see where it is now.   I also don’t get this “ chopper” setup? It’s you set up your suspension which can mean a wide variety of tuning. No way have I ever had bad cornering. Betas carve. Betas handle well and there’s a wide amount of choices of suspension companies to choose from if one wants to try other ways too. I didn’t have any trouble transitioning from my Honda cr 250 revalved and sprung for my weight. ..which handle awesome to my different Betas. Each setup of course a bit different. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

40 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Uh .. you know the frame of reference is right ?  The tester in the magazine article was testing a stock bike and got lost tuning. Was it Jimmy Lewis? Forget now..He called Stillwell and stillwell gave some basic settings he thought was good over the phone to get the tester on track again with the stock Beta test bike.  That’s all. It’s not a revalve or suspension redo or anything substantial. Anyone who play with their stock suspension could get here very easily just playing around and it’s just one place to start. It’s a super minor start off point for someone to try if they like with stock suspension for a 15’ 300 rr.  I don’t get where your reference to Stillwell “getting it wrong “with Cody Webbs suspension setup.  Did I read that right? Stillwell did Betas suspension when Cody won the National EnduroCross championship.  I rode a Stillwell suspended Beta for a guy a little bigger than I am. It was really good. . Have you ridden a Stillwell suspended Beta? Just wanted to make it clear what these settings were. If you read the article you would know this is just a baseline to start setting to play with. I started with these settings on my 300rr and then slowed the dampening in my forks a couple of clicks way back when I first tried it years ago. It’s different now. I gotta check my log book to see where it is now.   I also don’t get this “ chopper” setup? It’s you set up your suspension which can mean a wide variety of tuning. No way have I ever had bad cornering. Betas carve. Betas handle well and there’s a wide amount of choices of suspension companies to choose from if one wants to try other ways too. I didn’t have any trouble transitioning from my Honda cr 250 revalved and sprung for my weight. ..which handle awesome to my different Betas. Each setup of course a bit different. 

I've got no problem with Stillwell, but nobody talks about them much around here anymore.

My bike low sided several times when new if you pushed it the hardest, right when you need it to stick the most, my fault for having too soft of a spring (Beta's chart is still iffy)and too much psi in the Michelins. Once I got the proper rear spring and sag (1/3 of travel) and raised the forks it's been an inside line demon. 

Edited by Johnny Depp