X TRAINER suspension

So, while I'm waiting for heavier springs for my weight of 190lbs, I made a couple temporary changes in the shock and fork....with good results.

The shock; I moved the threaded preload adj down 1 position so I could add more preload....adj to almost 0 free sag....not ideal but as a temp fix it worked pretty good.

I also added (3) 34.15 face shims to the comp side and (2) to the rebound side.

Note: when adjusting the shock clickers, adjust rebound first then add compression as needed...they share the same bleed circuit and rebound affects compression.

Fork; I added a 1.5" spacer below the single spring, switched to 10w oil, increase volume to 550cc.

It's only necessary to add higher quality oil to the left leg, because the right leg is spring only any cheap oil will do.

Once I get the heavier springs I plan to test 15 and 20w to see if there's an improvement.

Lastly, I really like the bars in the most forward position.

Just 2 rides and I'm riding as fast as I was on my previous bike but with fewer mistakes.

Hope this helps.

Edited by moto9
  • Like 2

Not yet, they haven't been released yet.

Beta should have a weight chart once the springs are available.

I'm on the opposite side of the scale.  I'm waiting for lighter weight springs and I've set the forks to 0 preload, 0 rebound and dial out rebound and compression on the shock.

mainly single track but not a lot of rocks, I am thinking I will be find with stock. My bike is suppose to be here in a couple of weeks.

it would be awesome to fit KYB forks to xtrainer.  

I love KYB set up on my 300rr

• Like 1

it would be awesome to fit KYB forks to xtrainer.  

I love KYB set up on my 300rr

Agreed!

I have an extra set of showa 47's and matching front wheel complete with disk spacers and axle....all I need is a front brake if I don't want to steel one off my 01 cr.

I also have a matching tripple clamp set.

My thought was to see if I could fab up a new stem that will bolt up to the xt neck.

But before I go that far, I want to see if I can massage the xt fork some....just waiting on springs.

Or take the motor out of the xt and throw it in the cr frame..."na, just kiddin...but it is an interesting thought.

• Like 1

Agreed!

I have an extra set of showa 47's and matching front wheel complete with disk spacers and axle....all I need is a front brake if I don't want to steel one off my 01 cr.

I also have a matching tripple clamp set.

My thought was to see if I could fab up a new stem that will bolt up to the xt neck.

But before I go that far, I want to see if I can massage the xt fork some....just waiting on springs.

Or take the motor out of the xt and throw it in the cr frame..."na, just kiddin...but it is an interesting thought.

It's funny reading through some of these threads on how guys are going to "improve" this bike by changing parts. If thats the case , then you might as well get the RR. The theme with this bike is very light. I did the lift test in Get Dirty's shop. These X trainers are as light as a 125. Not much over 200lbs! I can't wait to ride one.

• Like 1

breaking my collarbone due to front wheel deflection last August just makes me very cautious about suspension and all..

I'd love smaller bike... but I know i will try to push it..so I would pay extra to get KYB set up on physically smaller and lighter bike.   

there are no other choice out there at 35in seat height and 220lbs..

You will need the tool!

I was refering to......"in addition to the tool" .......a crecent wrench.....just to remove the top cap.

There are two caps on this fork, the top cap that holds the preload adjuster, and a second cap that holds the spring in the lower tube...that one requires the special tool.

Without that tool, you'd have to seperate the two tubes to access the spring retainer cap to use a pin spanner wrench....that's what I had to do...because the special tool wasn't avaible at that time.

Not sure about all forks, but they used a lot of thread lock on my fork....I had to heat the area to break loose the spring retainer cap.

Edited by moto9
  • Like 1