Do wrap around handguards cause hand and/or arm injuries?

Wrap around handguards and rider safety  

1174 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your experience with wrap around handguards

• I ride with them and they've never caused me injury.
    • I've suffered injuries that I believe were the result of running wrap around handguards.
    • I do not know anyone personally that has been injured by wrap around handguards.
    • I know riders personally that have been injuried because they were running wrap around handguards
    • No idea, but I like bikes and chicks (in that order).

Ive seen it almost happen, honestly he shouldve broken his wrist. The front tire came down on a root or something off a small jump on a trail, his hands slipped off the bars and his left hand ended up inside the handguard. We were going slow so he just kind of flipped over the bars and landed right there, if we were going any faster I can see how it could have easily broken something if the bike flipped even one time or something.

I still use wrap arounds and so does he.

The funny thing about this topic is that you frequently see people post that they will never use wrap-arounds because of the risk of arm/wrist injury, but not once have I ever seen anybody say that they were actually injured or know someone that was injured by them. I'm sure there has probably been someone somewhere that has had one of those freak one-in-a-million crashes were they got their arm caught in the guard and was injured, but I've certainly never had any first-hand knowledge of such a thing happening.

Like others have said, when I still rode woods they certainly saved my fingers on many occasions, not to mention saving my levers in crashes.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 10

Like others have said, when I still rode woods they certainly saved my fingers on many occasions, not to mention saving my levers in crashes.

Yeah I bounce off trees like nothing? the acerbis logo is off on both sides now? but my buddy hit a tree the other day and it locked his front brake and actually tossed him over the bars?

• Like 7

Yeah I bounce off trees like nothing? the acerbis logo is off on both sides now? but my buddy hit a tree the other day and it locked his front brake and actually tossed him over the bars?

He's lucky it was the brake lever, they won't go all the way to the bars, or will at least have resistance to doing so. If the tree had been on the other side it would have been the clutch lever getting smashed into his fingers.

• Like 3

He's lucky it was the brake lever, they won't go all the way to the bars, or will at least have resistance to doing so. If the tree had been on the other side it would have been the clutch lever getting smashed into his fingers.

That's why I got my hand guards? fastest I've ever flipped a bike in my life? it was a small bendy tree

• Like 1

I broke the bone on the outside of my right hand on the bark buster while trying to hang on while falling of the side when I bottomed the frame on a large tree crossing. Heard it snap. That being said I ride no bike in the woods without full wrap guards. I have had many occasions I would have smashed all four fingers beyond recognition if it had not been for them.

• Like 3