Do wrap around handguards cause hand and/or arm injuries?

Wrap around handguards and rider safety  

590 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your experience with wrap around handguards

• I ride with them and they've never caused me injury.
    • I've suffered injuries that I believe were the result of running wrap around handguards.
    • I do not know anyone personally that has been injured by wrap around handguards.
    • I know riders personally that have been injuried because they were running wrap around handguards
    • No idea, but I like bikes and chicks (in that order).

1 hour ago, djsather said:

I race hare scrambles and endures for years and I have ridden entire seasons with and without full wraps.

the honest truth is that it's all preference.  I rode an entire season with just roost deflector (flag style) and was perfectly fine for everything except 1 ultra tight race where I felt like I was punching trees all day and came off the course with bloody and skinned knuckles. So I went back to wraps and they are fine.

can they cause wrist injury? yes.

can a neck brace cause spinal injury? yes

can knee braces cause femur injury? yes

can your helmet collar bone injury? yes

there are many safety items that can cause injury in certain crashes. you have to look at your riding style and the way you crash most often and decide if that particular item with be of more benefit than risk to you.

We ride motorcycles in rough and challenging conditions. if you're looking for something safe, take up knitting.

That is absolutely correct.A good way on top of all safety equipment is to learn how to swing with speed trough tight trees.Just watch the Euro Pros at the hard enduros and most of them have only blades.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clasen_Motors_KTM said:

That is absolutely correct.A good way on top of all safety equipment is to learn how to swing with speed trough tight trees.Just watch the Euro Pros at the hard enduros and most of them have only blades.

FACT is in motorcycle steering:. The further any weight is away from the center point of steering je slower is any direction change and a complete set of Knuckelsafers Plus all the other equipment I see more and more on the MODERN bikes contributes for slow movements which interfears with quick reaction to go trough tight trees with speed.My 2 dollars of today 

19075280_10155366360433767_2070295753_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clasen_Motors_KTM said:

FACT is in motorcycle steering:. The further any weight is away from the center point of steering je slower is any direction change and a complete set of Knuckelsafers Plus all the other equipment I see more and more on the MODERN bikes contributes for slow movements which interfears with quick reaction to go trough tight trees with speed.My 2 dollars of today 

19075280_10155366360433767_2070295753_n.jpg

I bet a big heavy drum brake on the front slows down the steering too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I bet a big heavy drum brake on the front slows down the steering too.( YES anything heavy around the steering point is negative.)

Zuendapp drums are extremely light because they have NO press in cast iron drum liners but have NICASIL plating.Thats why they giving heat very quickly to the outside,they wont warp when getting hot-wet-cold and never needed to be rebored. BMW used this brakes on there PARIS DAKAR bikes years ago.They are 2 finger brakes.

Picture one shows a Zuendapp brake found somewhere( hard to find) it needed a TLC. Pic # 2 after cleaning and repair and respoking into wheel and # 3 fitting it into the forks for double checking to make sure after respoking it is sitting exactly in the middle of the fork,and # 4 only then we mount the tires and (moussee) and we are done.

025.jpg

028.jpg

059.jpg

081.jpg

Edited by Clasen_Motors_KTM

On 5/21/2015 at 8:24 AM, RickP said:
"You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

I'm adding this quote - as I'd say a fair few have done.
I've used full guards since the early 80s.  Never hurt myself with them, and, of course I believe " they have saved me from countless injuries".
can see how you could get caught up with them - and the thought of the damage you could get from them makes me wince.  It's a valid fear.
In all the years I've used them , I've had a few close calls with having my hands go into the gap between bars and guards. Each one when I've been going very slow, and mis-judged a rock drop. As in : Standing up, expecting a smaller drop, but then having the bike spear down, and me following it down. Each time just having been bashed on the knuckles / fingers as I luckily withdrew my hands.  I'd hate to get caught in them in a prang.
Something that's caught me out recently, is going to different BBs - to get my little fingers off the BBs, thinking that was causing my hand problems ( but, no, it's Carpal Tunnel). So I got ones that 'dropped' from the bars. Trouble is, they go out at right angles to the bars. whereas ones I've used for years angle in fairly quickly from the bars. Result / Problem = after years of the angled type, I'm now continually hitting trees, with the  extra inch of width of the BBs front corner  either side, compared to the actual width of the bars.   I've tried to get used to it, give myself extra distance from trees / Saplings, but I can't seem to get it. Have to find some 'drop from the bar ends' ones that angle in closer to the bars, as I'm having so many 'moments'(some 'Very Big Moments')  with hitting things.
Cut your bars down to maintain the same overall width, i do this.

12 minutes ago, nytrainer said:

I believe the benefits outweigh any freak accident risks.

Dumb topic.

It's a discussion forum, that's what we do. Did you expect something else? :confused: Now, you know that there are No0bs out there that honestly may not have an opinion on the subject. Dumb would be assuming they know it all. Smart would be reading wide range of experiences and making up their own mind. However, I still do agree that for off-road use, you're correct.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

It's a discussion forum, that's what we do. Did you expect something else? :confused: Now, you know that there are No0bs out there that honestly may not have an opinion on the subject. Dumb would be assuming they know it all. Smart would be reading wide range of experiences and making up their own mind. However, I still do agree that for off-road use, you're correct.

Agree! It just seemed to me like a extremely unlikely thing to happen. But upon further reflection, I have seen stranger things.

• Like 1

Re forums, research is ok, but when you read thousands of anecdotal posts and confuse that for a data set, your conclusions will not be reliable. "None of us is as stupid as all of us."
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Re forums, research is ok, but when you read thousands of anecdotal posts and confuse that for a data set, your conclusions will not be reliable. "None of us is as stupid as all of us."

Eh... I think you and others can be rather good judges of what you read. It's not like you're going to find some million dollar study on the safety of hand guards and if you did, follow the money. ;)  Forums are likely better than asking 5 of your buddies who's collective experience is likely not as great as what you find here. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

My first experience with hand guards was when they came stock on XRs many years ago . Then for maybe 20 years I rode without them because they didn't come with whatever bike I was riding . I started running them again when we were doing supermoto and I've had them on everything since...with one exception . In 2012 I bought a 2011 KX450 that had flag guards . The first thick branch I encountered just blew past the guard and mashed my knuckles . When it was done with my knuckles , it smacked me on the right nipple so hard I thought I was gonna cry ( no chest protector ) . I had to pull over till the pain subsided and even then it ruined the whole ride . So it's full wrap around and a chest protector from now on . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
23 hours ago, Bearorso said:
  On 5/21/2015 at 8:24 AM, RickP said:
"You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

I'm adding this quote - as I'd say a fair few have done.
I've used full guards since the early 80s.  Never hurt myself with them, and, of course I believe " they have saved me from countless injuries".
can see how you could get caught up with them - and the thought of the damage you could get from them makes me wince.  It's a valid fear.
In all the years I've used them , I've had a few close calls with having my hands go into the gap between bars and guards. Each one when I've been going very slow, and mis-judged a rock drop. As in : Standing up, expecting a smaller drop, but then having the bike spear down, and me following it down. Each time just having been bashed on the knuckles / fingers as I luckily withdrew my hands.  I'd hate to get caught in them in a prang.
Something that's caught me out recently, is going to different BBs - to get my little fingers off the BBs, thinking that was causing my hand problems ( but, no, it's Carpal Tunnel). So I got ones that 'dropped' from the bars. Trouble is, they go out at right angles to the bars. whereas ones I've used for years angle in fairly quickly from the bars. Result / Problem = after years of the angled type, I'm now continually hitting trees, with the  extra inch of width of the BBs front corner  either side, compared to the actual width of the bars.   I've tried to get used to it, give myself extra distance from trees / Saplings, but I can't seem to get it. Have to find some 'drop from the bar ends' ones that angle in closer to the bars, as I'm having so many 'moments'(some 'Very Big Moments')  with hitting things.

Read more  

Cut your bars down to maintain the same overall width, i do this.

I appreciate your comment , but

I run narrow bars ( most of my 'funnest' riding is in Very tight stuff) at 29". as it is. The Twin Walls I run ( and , I put them into my lathe to remove a section of the outer wall either side, already to achieve that narrow width), with my switches etc, don't allow me to go any narrower. And, I'd not want ( and can't, with the modified Twin Walls) to go narrower. It's just the fact that the particular BBs I got, go directly out, at 90 degrees to the bar. So, when you take into account the sweep bar of the bars, the BBs in question, end up being wider than the bars.

I just have to pull my finger out an search up 'drop end' BBs that have an end that angles in from the bars, that's all, HevyRota.

• Like 1

I chose to do something part way between nothing and something.

I run the Cycra composite guards...

https://www.motosport.com/cycra-composite-pro-bend-handguard-kit

...the “composite” is a fancy way of saying plastic. They are basically the same Cycra pro bend, but without the metal bar.

My postulate (theory would be too strong a word) is that should I get a wrist stuck in one, it will either rotate just enough or snap or even just flex enough to save me from—or lessen—injury.

I know, I know, for some of you these would last like 15 seconds and you’d destroy them. But that’s not me. I just want something to save me from the occasional glancing blow going through tight trees (which I am not doing super fast) and my experience (and the scrapes on them) has proven to me that these serve just that purpose. (Better I think than the flag style.) Yes, at some point I will probably break one, but I am fine paying to replace them if need be. I’d say each has handled a half dozen tree glances so far, plus survived dropping the bike when I have had to bail. But I can predict one day one is going to crack and that will mean a fiberglass repair or buying a new one.

Not suggesting these for you hard enduro riders, or those that whack trees at high speed, etc., but maybe an option for some folks to consider who have been reluctant out of injury concern.

IMG_0837.JPG

On 12/3/2018 at 8:37 AM, Clasen_Motors_KTM said:

And their bars are cut to around 30" 

3 hours ago, pat22043 said:

So what is the best oil? and best ratio for my premix?
I have wrap-arround Enduro Engineering hand guards on my 300. Nothing at all on my 200

Sesame oil, and put it on everything. In Korean it is called 참기름 or"chum garum" = true oil. How can you argue with that?

This said, there is a lot of value in castor oil. Certainly one of the best 2 stroke oils:

Also good for riders that are irritable or "full of it".

• Haha 2

After running Cycra Probend full wrap arounds for years I am now a big fan of the Cycra Rebound hand guards. They are flag style but take a pretty hard lick from a tree before bending toward the hand. After my son broke his hand on his full wraps and had to have surgery I started looking at alternatives. 1 year and no issues. Screenshot_20181208-125722_Chrome.jpeg

• Like 1

After running Cycra Probend full wrap arounds for years I am now a big fan of the Cycra Rebound hand guards. They are flag style but take a pretty hard lick from a tree before bending toward the hand. After my son broke his hand on his full wraps and had to have surgery I started looking at alternatives. 1 year and no issues. Screenshot_20181208-125722_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.8de7dd02843cefa9604b359eb56f88a5.jpeg

How do you find these when you just glance a tree?

I worry if the tree diameter is small enough, it will get past the hand guard and still hit your lever or hand. Or do you put them out wider than your bars are?

How do you find these when you just glance a tree?

I worry if the tree diameter is small enough, it will get past the hand guard and still hit your lever or hand. Or do you put them out wider than your bars are?
I have mine set just to the end of my bars.