Bryan Bosch

Do wrap around handguards cause hand and/or arm injuries?

Wrap around handguards and rider safety  

584 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your experience with wrap around handguards

• I ride with them and they've never caused me injury.
    • I've suffered injuries that I believe were the result of running wrap around handguards.
    • I do not know anyone personally that has been injured by wrap around handguards.
    • I know riders personally that have been injuried because they were running wrap around handguards
    • No idea, but I like bikes and chicks (in that order).

Yesterday I rode a narrow steep uphill through the trees.

I Hit a bough with my left alu Cycra, so that I nearly fell off and tha alu was bent a bit.

I first had a big pain on my left hand , but I could ride on and clear the uphill. 

I never would want tomiss that parts again! 

Edited by engl

Those look pretty good but how are they with protecting levers? That’s a pretty big reason why I run full wraps
Its is very true that full wraps protect your bars and levers much better. I moved my clutch lever in a little bit. It was short to begin with and I run a rekluse so I dont use it that much. I also moved the front break lever in a bit and have a protaper breakaway lever. So far, so good.
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, DarrellH3 said:

Its is very true that full wraps protect your bars and levers much better. I moved my clutch lever in a little bit. It was short to begin with and I run a rekluse so I dont use it that much. I also moved the front break lever in a bit and have a protaper breakaway lever. So far, so good.

A couple of times, my YZ had tipped over in that garage, caused by little people messing around.  I KNOW at least one time I would have broken a lever off and I have a Protaper clutch perch (love it) and would hate to snap that one.

My story is same as most on here. Riding 45+ years, but I have only had once instance (last summer) where I potentially could have put my wrists through the bark busters.   I can see that there is a small % of risk, but the lack of bent bars, broken fingers, levers etc, tells me that they are doing their job.  I always used the flag style when riding MX to protect from rock roost.  I will say that I did like my acerbis all plastic BB the best as they protected great but had enough flex to absorb  big tree hits, and seemed to slide around them better.   Still have them but they are the wrong color for my fancy new bike. Vanity. Cam.

• Like 2