Do wrap around handguards cause hand and/or arm injuries?

Wrap around handguards and rider safety  

590 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your experience with wrap around handguards

• I ride with them and they've never caused me injury.
    • I've suffered injuries that I believe were the result of running wrap around handguards.
    • I do not know anyone personally that has been injured by wrap around handguards.
    • I know riders personally that have been injuried because they were running wrap around handguards
    • No idea, but I like bikes and chicks (in that order).

After just purchasing a 2014 Stock DRZ400S  and getting back to riding after 25+ years I went down hard coming down off a old rail line and getting caught in a washout (Over driving my skill level). When I went down it jammed my two fingers between the clutch and bars. It actually took me a bit to get my fingers out. Nothing broke but still sore. 

These are on order now http://www.mx1canada.com/acerbis-x-factor-handguards.html

I went with the large heavy duty ones to cut down more wind in colder weather, I'n not sure if it was the right purchase. I would prefer the guard to be sacrificial and not the bars. These may transfer all the energy to the bars I think. Live and Learn :ride:  

I think you made the right choice. If you have the stock bars, the bars will probably be the weak point. If you have 1-7/8" bars, the guards are the weak point.

• Like 1

I think they will be just fine.  They really do look quite heavy duty.  One tip too....DONT CRASH!

I think they will be just fine.  They really do look quite heavy duty.  One tip too....DONT CRASH!

Sure...now you give me this tip. Could have saved me the broken wrist in 1990 and shattered knee cap in 2008  :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a friend break his wrist with bark busters. He hit hard, his hand slipped off the grip in between the bark buster. He fell forward and to the side and snap!

Even with the potential for injury I use them on my dual sport.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2015 at 6:24 PM, RickP said:

You need to add one more selection. "I ride with handguards and they have saved me from countless injuries."

This.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LSHD said:

This.

Yep, such as not crushing your fingers against trees in the woods, which possibly happens quite often, but going over the bars doesn't.

• Like 1

I use theme and got hurt.

I left my bike over the bars several times und in some cases I needed help to get my hands out of the bark busters. Thanks god i didnt break anything, but it can hurt.

But not having them hurts every ride many times.

Edited by engl
  • Like 2

Saves you from more common lesser injuries, and opens you up to rather uncommon major injuries. 
Never had an issue, granted I haven't been riding that long. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I hope everyone that uses them knows you tip them down a little.  Obviously, down too far & you won't have as much (or any) protection but there's MUCH less chance of your hand going in there.  It aint rocket science.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

On 5/20/2015 at 5:32 PM, The Spanky said:

Ain't it amazing how fast trees can move? Those suckers can jump in front of you so fast you never even see them move until it's too late...:lol:

Tough to see them roots shuffling under the soil. :D

• Like 1

I should have added with my post, I've only been using a very heavy duty aluminum ones, full loop, meaning they are anchored on both ends.  I don't use the plastic deflectors.  I always thought if you can imagine your hand/wrist going foreward in a crash,  the shape of the deflector may funnel your hand into the loop instead of letting it pass by above the guard. Sure you get some of the smaller twigs hitting you without that deflector but not a big deal. YMMV.

If you use them for mx they will cause injuries.  I went over the bars once with handguard after a failed jump. Ended up taking some nice chunks out of my knuckles. 

I ride with wrap arounds and they have saved me and my bike from countless injuries and damage that could have left me stranded. That said, last year I had a nasty head on collision with another rider and went over bars and broke my left wrist which even now a year later I'm still dealing with pain from. 

I ride with wrap around hand guards. I hit trees a lot and like having them.  

I went over the bars in a unexpected quick sand type mud that ate my front wheel. My finger got stuck between lever and hand guard on the way over the bars. Nothing broken, but it hurt wrist and finger. Part of the problem was from my custom shaped lever that was made before the bark busters were put on.

For woods and trails I wouldn't think twice about using wrap around hand guards or bark busters. I know they have saved me from many broken fingers levers etc. Motocross on the other hand, I only use open hand guards or nothing. I've seen quite a few guys over the years on open practice days using their woods bike with bark busters come up short or case a jump and their hands slip, go through and snap.. :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tj.moto said:

For woods and trails I wouldn't think twice about using wrap around hand guards or bark busters. I know they have saved me from many broken fingers levers etc. Motocross on the other hand, I only use open hand guards or nothing. I've seen quite a few guys over the years on open practice days using their woods bike with bark busters come up short or case a jump and their hands slip, go through and snap.. :(

Easy enough to just take them off for the day if you are riding the track. Two bolts each.  Just leave the mounts on.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

For mx days, I remove the barkbusters and pop these in the ends of the handlebars.

IMG_20181129_093119.jpg.ad499c2240f30cac8c681da4516fdc31.jpg

Yes, I should have mentioned, I use the aforementioned wrap-arounds for my woods YZ.  For MX I probably not use any or maybe the flag type - but I don't race any more..